Monday, October 10, 2005

A Post from the Crookston blog - fyi

Here is our little update, so everyone can know what is happening with us in Michigan (also, so I can procrastinate doing my homework for just a little bit longer). We are both very busy with school. Katsu is mostly very busy working. He is a graduate research assistant (that is how he gets his assistantship - i.e. free tuition + health insurance + stipend). It is both good and bad. Good in that he gets paid (yeah!) and he gets a good start on his research, for his dissertation, etc. Bad in that he is working about 40 hours a week (that does not include the school part of his PhD). He is taking two classes - an Exercise Physiology class and a Nutrition class (that is through the School of Public Health). Oh, and for those who don't know, this is all for his PhD in Kinesiology (study of movement).
On a more fun note for Katsu, he is on the soccer intramural team with other church members from our stake as well as some other students. They are doing pretty well and he loves getting a bit back into soccer. He is also very busy with church - he just got called a couple weeks ago to be in the Elders Quroum Presidency (again!) and is busy with that. We are also in the ward choir and Katsu has been asked to sing a solo as part of one of our pieces for next week. Everyone loves his voice.
I (Amanda) am very busy. i have a fellowship this year, so I don't have to work, but school work is really overwhelming in my department. I really am not enjoying grad school, so it looks like I probably won't be pursuing a PhD, but just a Masters at this point. We'll see. I am taking three classes - a probability class, a math class for signal processing majors, and a medical imaging class where we study things like MRI, Ultrasound, etc. The material is interesting, but it's very competitive - about 75% of my classmates are international students who came from top notch colleges around the world. So, that's me - my degree will be in Electrical Engineering Systems with a major in Signal Processing (and maybe a minor in Biomedical).
I have fun, too. Katsu and I are both ushers for the University Musical Society. This is one of the top ten venues in the US for performances. So, we are part of the Jazz and World Music Crew. We come an hour early to performances and take people to their seats and then get to see the show for free. So far, I have seen Sonny Rollins, the jazz great, and Pat Metheny and trio. It's a lot of fun and we get to meet new people too. I am the primary pianist in the ward (again!) and choir, etc. etc.
Miss everyone tons! If you are ever in Detroit or Ann Arbor or even Michigan, come visit!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your posting Amanda. We love to hear from you. Sounds like you are way busy. We are sorry you are not enjoying school this year. Maybe it will get better. We are proud of your efforts and all you have accomplished so far. Hope you can take your trip this spring. Love you both lots.

Nicole said...

Hang in the Amanda... 1st year of grad school (particularly if you have already declared your intent to stay on for a PhD) is always awful... they totally make your life difficult. But, you can and will do it, even if you opt out of the 5 to 6 years of school after the masters is done. One semester at a time :)

Too cool about the usher "job". I had a similar job in Salt Lake for the Utah symphony. Twice a month I set out cheese, cookies, wine and punch for the big donors and took their coats when the arrived. In turn, I would sneak away to sit in an empty box seat during intermission. I also had access to free tickets when I wasn't working. In fact, Justin's and my first date was to one of those free tickets at the symphony; they were playing Shostakovich 5. What nice memories!

Sarah said...

How do you like primary? I'm also the primary pianist... but luckily I'm not good enough to be the choir pianist! But I am learning to play the organ, so you can guess where my life is headed! =)