Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Andrew is 16 months old!






Andrew continues to grow and grow, well, older anyways. Based on his 15 month appt, he hasn't actually gained any weight in 6 months and is down to the 30somethingth%, though he has gotten taller, so he looks a little thinner. It always cracks me up when someone says how chubby he is and how big he is, since he is smaller than average now.

He walks really well and can walk backwards now. I tried to offer him a cookie once and he backed away because he was suspicious (he doesn't really like sweets). He waves and claps all the time and can give high fives (finally!). He even will gesture a little bit when we sing songs, though he mostly just ignores them. He likes to climb and get into everything of course. Today he started crying and I found him stuck under the bed!

Andrew is a very social little guy. He loves to wander about and walk up to other unsuspecting kids and adults. He got his doctor to read him a story at his last doctor appt as they were trying to explain something to me. He will go up to older kids at the library and smile and babble away. If other kids are running, he thinks they are playing chase with him and he will run around and play with them. I love it and hope it sticks and he is a little social butterfly. Of course, he is pretty aggressive with other kids and is very possessive of his toys. But he likes to hug other kids too, so he is probably mostly just very physical. Occasionally a bigger kid will scare him and he will cry, but usually not.

Andrew keeps throwing lots of little tantrums where he lies down on the floor and cries for a bit. He also hates when we tell him "no" and will cry and seek comfort from the other one. Poor little guy. Sometimes it's hard to keep my patience when he is wrecking destruction around the house, but I usually do a good job.

Andrew is starting to imitate us sometimes too. It is very fun and cute.

Andrew is talking a lot more, but a lot of it is babbling. But he does say a lot of words. His favorites, which uses all the time, are "truck", "cat", "dog", "this", "that", "done", "more", "mom", "dad", "fish", "yeah", "ba" for banana. He says many many other words but not as consistently. Sometimes he says little sentences but I can not think of any right now. I'm very grateful that he doesn't say "no" or "mine", yet. He also makes sounds for his cars, which is so cute.

Andrew LOVES loves loves loves trucks and cars. He makes us read any books about trucks over and over and over again. Each morning he loves to line up his cars on the air conditioner, then move them to the table, and over and over and over again. He even has pretended that his food was a car before (which seemed like a huge cognitive leap to me!). He loves to play with his train set now too and is figuring out how to put the track together and make the cars go over the bridge or through the tunnel.

He loves to read stories (especially car books) and gets very excited when he sees a cat or a dog or a car or a truck in a book. He will bring books over to whoever is convenient to get them to read to him. He even brings over DVD's for us to read the covers to him. His favorite books are "Baby Farm Animals", "Trucks", and his "Truck", "Train", "Boat", and "Plane" books in Japanese. I can read the Japanese books, albeit quite slowly, but I am getting faster. If only I understood more of what they were saying. He fell in love with the book "Heavy Equipment Up Close" or something like that. The book was almost as big as him. He would struggle to carry it over and then sit while I read him paragraphs about draglines, space shuttle crawlers, bulldozers, and dump trucks. I finally took it back to the library today because I was so tired of reading it.

Andrew's eating has been much better the last week or two. He now likes chicken (yeah, another food group!). His favorite foods are still rice, peas, and goldfish crackers. He is enjoying lots of fruits, many vegetables, breads, and noodles. He still shuns the dairy group and spits out any non-water beverage. He could live on rice. He is still breastfeeding, but it is definately cutting back to just a couple times during the day (but still at night! ARGH!) The funniest thing is, he is always trying to convince me he wants to nurse and so he will pat the couch and then bring over the pillow he lays his head on, and then he will go get me reading material (scriptures, a book, or a magazine). He definitely knows the way to my heart!

Andrew will only take a nap in his stroller. I just go with it. I need him to take a nap and if that's the only way he will take it, I am not going to stress over it. It will be more difficult in the winter, but oh well. His night sleep is still not fabulous, especially the last week or so as he is getting more teeth. He now has all his molars and is getting his incisors. I will have a party when all his teeth finally come in.

As far as events go, this month was a busy one for Andrew. We went to Mackinac Island and the Upper Peninsula. And he was diagnosed (possibly) with asthma and nebulizer treatments. Which also meant he started watching movies every day during his treatments but thankfully he doesn't seem to notice he's missing them since we stopped the treatments. Andrew also started taking a "Fun at One" class through First Steps Washtenaw on Saturday mornings with Katsu so they can have some quality time together and I can get some more work done. He has switched to going to his babysitter in the mornings (9-12 for three days a week) and really seems to enjoy it. Maybe he'll even learn some Bulgarian, since that is mostly the language she talks to him in. The Fisher Price party and all the new toys was especially exciting for Andrew. (Although I am NOT used to have toys that make so much noise! Yikes!). We are also having a little play group with kids around his age at our house once a week, which is nice for us. Maybe he will learn to share a little better.

Overall, Andrew is a really happy boy who is always babbling, laughing, playing, and walking around with a few trucks in his hand.

No comments: