On Monday, we made Halloween cookies. Katsu wasn't sure why I wanted Andrew to take a bath after decorating the cookies for FHE, but I think he understood afterwords. Andrew got REALLY into the sprinkles.
We went to our ward's trunk-or-treat but it was a little intense with all the kids. Our ward has 50+ kids under the age of 2 (and always increasing) and about 50 3-11 years old. It's most of the ward. So, it was pretty crowded. It was also a little late for Andrew. But he seemed to enjoy it mostly. He won a cupcake on the cake walk and also did the fishing pole game. Plus, he walked around and got candy. But I still think trunk-or-treats are a poor substitute for real trick or treating.
On Friday, Andrew started having a meltdown as Katsu was leaving, so we all took the bus downtown together and Andrew and I went to the library for a spooky storytime. The bus line is always unbelievably packed, so I opted to skip the costume and Andrew was the only kid without one, but he still had fun. We went home and tried to get Andrew to take a nap. I was getting frustrated and I decided we might as well as go do something fun and if Andrew falls asleep there, oh, well. So, we went downtown for trick or treating (in the car this time - I even paid for parking which I HATE to do ... but it's gotta be better than carrying a dragon-clad toddler and his pumpkin bag on the bus).
It was SO much fun. A lot of the businesses downtown on a few of the main streets have candy for the kids to come and trick or treat. The participating businesses put a balloon out front. We went to TONS of places and got a pumpkin full of candy! The best was the courthouse. After walking through the metal detector (should have brought the camera - what a picture), most of the offices were open for trick or treating on all 3 floors. True to form, Andrew totally fell asleep just as we were heading back to the car. I pulled off his costume, put him in his car seat and drove home. Then, I ran in and grabbed my work stuff and my laptop and sat in the car for about 2 hours working on my abstract (and my blog) while he napped (a very common occurence in our car -- I have to be flexible and when/where I do my work). Thankfully, it was a gorgeous day and I could get away with it.
In the evening, we all went trick or treating together. It was lots of fun and we got to meet neighbors, who got very few trick or treaters. I really hope all those parents who are so afraid of how "dangerous" Halloween is don't go so Halloween is all private parties and no longer community trick or treating. Besides 4th of July, it's one of the few holidays we actually celebrate WITH and not BESIDE our neighbors.
Anyways, I think Andrew thought it was mostly about getting to meet and pet all the neighbors dogs (he also tried to go into EVERYONE's house), but it was lots of fun. And he was sad when we finally went home.
1 comment:
Oh Amanda and Katsu, you do have one adorable little guy. I wish I could just eat him up. You had better come stay with us for a weekend sometime. My goodness he will be off to college before we know it. That can't happen. You and Katsu are good parents we can tell. So fun. Take care and we love you xoxoxo
Post a Comment