Well, this has been a pretty hard month plus a bit. But today Katsu comes home from trip #5. Trip #1 was to Dallas for a post-doc interview for 2 days. Then, he was home for a bit before Trip #2 to Japan to see his ailing mother (9 days, though 2 days were just flying of course). Although there were a few tense moments and I had my dissertation proposal which I was deathly afraid of (but passed), we did pretty well. Having my defense done made me a lot more relaxed ... Katsu was home for a whole 6 jet-lagged filled days (though at work during the day for most of them) just in time to go on Trip #3 to Orlando for two days for another post-doc interview. He was home for a whole day with just enough time to do laundry and pack for Trip #4 to Sweden for 10 days days. My sister Sarah was there, but both Andrew and me were starting to miss Katsu a lot about half way through that trip. I also started to get really worn out and feel like I was going to faint at least every day. Katsu was home for another 3 jet-lag filled days (at work half the time again) before Trip #5 to New Orleans for 4 very long days (he left for the airport at 3:45 AM on the first day and isn't getting home till at least midnight tonight). There is still supposed to be a Trip #6 to St Louis for another post doc interview, but the timing is still somewhat up in the air.
So, I've been really exhausted and then having some contractions (maybe Braxton-Hicks contractions??) pretty regularly, which was odd because I have never had them before - not last pregnancy until I was induced or this pregnancy. I called the office since I'm only 35 weeks pregnant, but since my doctor was out of town, they told me they wanted me to go to Triage at the hospital. I was kind of annoyed because I was like 95% sure I was not in labor - I just wanted to make sure all was okay. So, this afternoon I was at Triage. So fun ... NOT. The funny thing is I am already 3-4 cm dilated. But I wasn't progressing, so I should be just fine. Which is good - I am NOT ready to have this baby yet even though this pregnancy has not been fun at all. But the dilation sure explains why I am feeling so much pelvic pain / pressure. Knowing me, I will probably still go to 42 weeks and then have an incredibly long labor. We'll see. Oh, and my doctor says I have a "special cervix". At first, she said, "I can't tell ... " something in regards to my cervix. It's that special. To go along with my abnormally shaped pelvic bones by doctor "diagnosed" last pregnancy. Maybe my body is just not built for babies?
So, I guess we've survived ... but I think too many trips like this plus me being pregnant is just a recipe for labor brought on by exhaustion. I am ready to rest!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
oh my gosh. You should be tired! And already at 3-4...holy cow! All they need to do is hook up the pit and the baby would come! (okay, I'm all about early babies...but I guess 35 weeks is a little too early...). Get some rest--I'm surprised they didn't say bedrest... enough blabbering, I hope the baby comes when you're ready for it!
Hey--congrats on the successful dissertation defense! That's huge!! Seems like just yesterday I saw you and Katsu on Comm Ave after his (thesis?) defense. And good luck with ol' Mr. Cervix! :)
Hi Amanda,
We finally have a house, and internet. I'm not really back in business with everything, but I wanted to tell you I was thinking about you. Way to survive. Sometimes that's all we can do. You are a trooper!
Krista
Congrats on passing you proposal. Now take a rest before that baby comes and all chaos breaks loose.
Post a Comment