ABOUT SETH THIS MONTH:
Two, especially since Logan was born, seems to be tough on Seth. I do see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Logan is starting to get into a better routine and when Andrew is at preschool, I usually have at least an hour of just Seth time. I think that is helping a whole lot!
Seth is two. What can I say. He is really trying to assert his independence, figure out what he can do, and push everyone’s buttons. A few examples. Seth always takes his shoes and often his socks off in the car. Once, while nervous waiting to see the doctor this month, as I tried to find the socks and shoes he had thrown off, he took off his pants, too! Seth refuses to do most things we tell him, but mostly just to see if he can get away from it. He really really hates time out and I don’t have a really good place to do it (we are crammed into our apartment like sardines). So, he has to sit on a time-out chair. Either I chase him around the apartment every time he gets up (which ends up taking an hour to do a 2 minute time-out), or I just put him between my legs and force him to sit for 2 minutes. Not very effective, but I have to do something.
Because of his 2-year-old-ness, I have let him have complete control of potty training. I told him, when he is ready, we will switch to underwear. And that he has to be potty trained for preschool. Some afternoons he wants to wear underwear, but usually he says that he will start on Thursday. We’ll see about that.
Seth has been more emotionally needy because of Logan and was waking up a lot at night and needing Katsu. He still is, but it feels like it is getting a little better. He also has been giving me a lot of spontaneous hugs which is definitely new. He still wishes Logan wasn’t around. He tells me that he wishes “Logan was back in my tummy” and wants him in the crib or lying down when he is awake. But sometimes, he will try to play with or smile at or talk to Logan.
Seth is really really into Cars 2, fighting, wrestling, and good guys (or cars) and bad guy (or cars). We are really trying to teach him to use his words and I can see it helping a bit, but he throws A LOT. Now, at least, he says, “I want to throw this toy at Andrew” and sometimes he doesn’t do it. Kill is still one of his favorite words. And poopy. It’s lovely.
Seth has had this weird “rash” for the last few months that was growing in a curvy line from his chest through his arm pit and to his back. The pediatrician had no idea what it was (thought maybe shingles??) and so we took him to the pediatric dermatologist this month to have it checked out. So, they knew right what it was – a birthmark! Not what I expected. And it will probably keep growing. So weird.
Something I don’t think I’ve ever written about. Seth always says the exact same prayer no matter what. It is “Father, thank you, Amen”. No matter the occasion. We were having some bad weather the other day and he was concerned, so I said to say a prayer, and that was it. So cute.
Seth still likes train tracks, but is really into games right now. Especially the new Cars 2 game, but also Candy Land and Hi Ho Cherrio and Memory – all of which he wants to play every day. That and building guns and dinosaurs out of Trio blocks. He likes to play more on his own. During our time, he’ll play a little, but he gets mad whenever I play with him, because invariably I will do it wrong, so we usually end up playing games, reading books, or doing crafts.
Seth is a perfectionist in some ways. He really wants to do things the right way, and usually to the level of Andrew’s ability or better. He gets frustrated when he can’t do athletic things like he thinks he should be able. He is really starting to get frustrated that he can’t write. Andrew is always telling him that he didn’t make letters and that those are just scribbles. Seth is trying really hard to make letters and I think he is doing a good job, but he gets frustrated because it doesn’t look as good as he thinks it should.
Academically, Seth is doing really well – mostly osmosis from Andrew, because I don’t really work with him on those things. He knows most of his ABCS and even knows the sounds for some of the letters. He knows all his colors and shapes and can count at least to 20. He counts to 10 in Spanish pretty well, too (that is from reading millions of Dora books which are his absolute favorite). He also speaks really well and is drawing pretty well (his rocket ships look pretty much like rocket ships to me). He is great at circles, but is still working on straight lines and triangles. He absorbs a lot – he knows all about Andrew’s preschool and is very excited to go. He even knows the names of almost all of the kids in Andrew’s class.
Oh, I think Seth is mostly done with naps. I this point, I don’t think he’s taken one for almost 2 weeks!
I am loving Seth and his sweet hugs and kisses this month!
FUN THINGS SETH DID THIS MONTH:
CHRISTMAS!!! We watched the Muppets movie the night before. And left cookies out for Santa. (Though the boys refused to ever see Santa and tell him what they wanted in case he changed his mind). Seth loved all the presents he got – a firehouse Trio set (now usually used to make guns) from Santa, new Play-Doh set from Santa, dress up hats from Mom, dress up clothes from Sarah and Danny, books from Michael and Meghan and also from Martha, Lincoln logs from Grandma and Grandpa, a new outfit from Grandma Clo and Grandpa Dick (that Seth was SO excited about he started unzipping his pajamas immediately to wear them) and some toy people from the Book of Mormon, and a big slide and horse from Ji and Ba.
- Rest of Texas. Grandpa took Seth on outings everywhere – feeding the ducks, to the park, around town – he had SO much fun. He also loved playing with the toys at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. And spending time with the relatives. Also, he got to experience playing old school video games (sigh!) – Mario and Duck Hunt. Of course, Seth was very frustrated because he wasn’t as good as he wanted (or as good at Andrew at duck hunt). And dancing along with us to Just Dance 3 (though he was too shy to do it for long). And going out for ice cream!
- New Years! We threw a little party with everyone and the boys at 6:30ish before the boys went to bed after having yummy appetizers. The boys loved making so much noise!!! The next day, Katsu gave the boys traditional new years money (otoshidama). Seth is still a little young, but thinks it is fun to play with.
- Trip to the zoo and the science center (finally getting out after having Logan).
- Going with Katsu to the consolate (they were visiting at a hotel near the airport) and then sitting in the car in the cell-phone lot and watching planes for half an hour. They got ice cream, too, which is always a thrill.
- Watch the movie Ice Age 3 at the History museum. Seth enjoyed it and loves all the snacks. He fell asleep near the end of the movie (while sitting up!), though, poor thing.
- We went to a Chinese new year party that someone in our stake threw for this group of people that meet for Chinese Sunday School. Somehow, we always get invited along and we’ve been a couple times. Anyways, after getting pretty lost going there, we made it. The boys had a blast. The adults all made loads of dumplings together and then we ate lots and lots of Chinese food (Seth was in heaven). Then, they had a presentation about the Chinese new year and the host had made a Chinese dragon out of paper which all the kids held up with sticks and ran around and around the house. It was pretty fun!
- On Martin Luther King Day, Katsu took the day off and we went to go look for Bald Eagles near the Confluence where the Missouri and Mississippi rivers meet (about 20 mins from our house). Seth was kind of having a rotten day – he wanted to hike, but as soon as we walked a bit, he started throwing a fit and wanting to be carried and saying he was tired. We first went to Chain of Rocks bridge and walked part way before they closed it. Then, we went hiking around the Confluence and had a picnic lunch there (the weather was lovely!) and then we went to West Alton to the Audubon center, but Seth fell asleep and so he had a nice nap in the car while Andrew and Katsu finally spotted a real bald eagle. Then, we went out for dinner at Dickey’s BBQ which Seth loved. They even have free ice cream cones. A beautiful January day.
- Making snow man and having a snow ball fight with Katsu.
FUNNY THINGS SETH SAID THIS MONTH: (note – I really should keep better track of this)
Katsu: "You are my favorite 2 yr old, give me a hug"
Seth: "I gave you a hug yesterday, I can give you another one some other time"
Andrew: "Aww, I can give you a hu~g, I give you a kiss, too"
Seth: "I give you kiss tomorrow"
No comments:
Post a Comment