Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Andrew is 4 years 11 months old

March 2012 004March 2012 010March 2012 013March 2012 030March 2012 032March 2012 036March 2012 041March 2012 044March 2012 049March 2012 061March 2012 079March 2012 086March 2012 090March 2012 091March 2012 101March 2012 106March 2012 110March 2012 115April 2012 007April 2012 015April 2012 017April 2012 022April 2012 025April 2012 027April 2012 030April 2012 035April 2012 043April 2012 046

I think Andrew is really ready for kindergarten or something with structure for more of the day.  This has kind of been a tough month.  First, he had the flu and missed a couple days of preschool and then he had two weeks off from preschool and oh, how much he told me about how he missed his friends.  And the last week or two … he has been a HANDFUL.  I just can not believe how much trouble the boys have been getting into.  Andrew kind of gets into this trance where he won’t listen to me and is just very disobedient.  He throws things, says mean or unkind things to me, laughs maniacally and spits and is just totally crazy.  I have been trying to pre-empt it and stuff like that this week.  We’ll see if we can get some improvement.  Hopefully.

On the other hand, Andrew can be so sweet and good some of the time.  He really loved Easter time this year.  I could tell that he really looked forward to doing the activities and watching the bible videos each night.  And I can’t believe how much the kids loved the Passover dinner and our “Jesus foods” dinner and honeycomb.  Andrew told his teacher on Good Friday how “this is a very sad day because Jesus died”.  Although Andrew told us after last week, we didn’t need to have Family Home Evening because we have been having so many.  He doesn’t like church, but he seems to be really intune with spiritual things.  He has been telling me about how he has been feeling the Holy Ghost and how we need to remember to pray every morning and night.

Andrew hasn’t been eating much.  He goes into these tantrums at the drop of a hat – “I don’t like that food”, “I don’t like blue plates” and then refuses to eat.  Sometimes he eats no lunch at all or a snack.  Sigh …  Of course, if I let him eat fried rice 3x a day, he would probably eat tons.  He loves that stuff.  He also loves any Asian food.  We have 2 tickets to the Cardinals opening day and we were trying to figure out who was going.  I said I could take the other boy out to get Chinese food – and now, both boys want to get Chinese food and don’t want to go to the baseball game!

Andrew has decided he wants to do gymnastics as an activity.  He thinks it will be really good for him.  He doesn’t want to do dance because he already knows all the moves (ha ha ha).  We’ll have to try to find him a class.  I feel a little bad that he doesn’t have any activities yet, but I feel a little too lazy to do them with him.

Andrew and Seth have been playing a lot together this last month, usually happily.  But the cars a constant set of problems, so we split them up and labeled most of them.  I think this is helping, though Andrew still tries to help himself to most of them sometimes because he always has some good idea, that he is trying to convince Seth of.  They have also been wrestling constantly.  I do not quite understand the compulsion to wrestle.  Like, why do you need to wrestle in the library?  Or in the grocery cart?  Why????

Otherwise, a good month.  Andrew is almost 5 and I can barely believe it.

Fun Things We Did This Month

  • Flu – okay, this was not too fun, but definitely noteworthy.  Andrew got Tamiflu and perhaps this is why he had to the shortest of all and recovered fastest.  He did throw up quite a bit, which no one else did, though, so maybe that evens it out.  Poor kid.
  • Shaw Nature Reserve and Purina Farms.  Andrew enjoyed the dog show and thought seeing the animals was fun.  I wasn’t sure how he would like the dog show, since he is kind of scared of dogs and doesn’t like them to be near him.  He loved the nature at the Shaw Nature Reserve – he always loves to tell me about how much he loves nature and how he is a nature boy and knows so much about it.  He really loved the children’s play area there.  Of course, their favorite part was McDonalds afterwards.
  • Egg Hunts – we did two.  I think I am bad at overdoing it, but I love holidays.  We did one in Maplewood and then one in Des Peres the next weekend.  The one in Des Peres, you had to take a trolley to, which the boys thought was pretty fun.  Andrew was upset that he got less eggs than Seth and was kind of throwing a fit about it, but he eventually got over it (and he had lots of eggs besides).
  • Letterboxing – we did one with just me and the boys at Stacey Park, which is close and was a little tricky to find.  Andrew found it actually and of course, he told everyone we ran into about the “treasure” and all the adults just kind of give me a knowing wink.  It’s pretty cute.  We also did one in a park near the temple in Town and Country.  It had three boxes and was pretty tricky, but we found them all.  And the boys really enjoyed the park and especially seeing all the caterpillars on the hiking paths.
  • Mo Willems Author Event – our first and the boys really enjoyed it.  Andrew was laughing out loud at the reading of the new Elephant and Piggie book.  They weren’t too interested to actually see Mo, but they loved the videos he showed.
  • Easter
    • Palm Sunday – Palm branches, dying eggs, and a nature walk
    • Tuesday – talking about parables, eggs from Grandma
    • Thursday – a little Passover – well, matzo, bitter herbs, grape juice and lentil soup to eat.  Lamb was just too expensive.  Andrew loved this – I think because we have spent so much time studying Moses and the Exodus.  The boys LOVED it.
    • Friday – making Resurrection cookies and talking about the crucifixion.
    • Saturday – making Resurrection rolls.  Easter Egg hunt.  Jerusalem dinner – food that Jesus ate – olives, goat cheese, cheddar cheese, pitas, hummus, figs, apricots, grapes – boys also loved it … while we watched Tin-Tin (okay, not so Eastery)
    • Sunday – talking about resurrection, eating rolls and egg casserole and of course, the Easter Bunny and an easter basket from Martha, plus ham and brocolli and devilled eggs for Easter dinner.
    • Monday – fish and honeycomb for dinner and talked about resurrection some more.

No comments: