Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Logan is 14 months old!

I know I say it every month, but I just can’t believe how fast my baby is growing up!  I feel like he was just born and now he is constantly running away from me.  How did that happen?

Teething, this was a hard month for Logan.  He was getting in his last front tooth on the bottom, so now he has his first 8 teeth.  But my goodness – that one was awful.  Waking up and crying all the time.  Sometimes inconsolably.  At one point, I thought he had an ear infection, but I really think it is just that darn tooth.  I am conflicted on whether I hope his molars start and we can just get it all over with or whether we all need a break.

So, sleep-wise was still a mess this month.  He sleeps a lot like Andrew at night (naps are different).  He basically has given up the crib and just sleeps on a futon.  I suppose we should just accept that and put the crib away.  He wants to fall asleep while holding us or being on top of me.  It drives me nuts, but whatever.  At least he is sleeping.  I think in a previous life, he must have been a kangaroo and just wants to revert to a pocket or something.  He loves naps – he will tell me when he is ready to take them and he is still definitely on 2 a day.  There is usually a short one (that he wakes up grumpy from) and a long one (like 1.5 hours, maybe).  When he wakes up from his nap, he bangs on the door and then wants to be held and cuddled for quite a while.  It is sweet. 

No weaning yet … though I seriously want to soon.  I feel like it will be easier when Katsu is around … and with a job interview plus Japan in Dec and rest of Japan and probably 2 job interviews in Jan, that is probably not realistic.  Someday …

Logan is loving avocados this month.  Banana muffins, but mostly just carrying them around and crumbling them everywhere.  Maybe string cheese.  Yes to real yogurt (not the plain stuff I normally make them eat).  Yes to all kinds of candy, which he had amazing abilities to find and then consume still with the wrappers on after Christmas.  Loves cheese.  Loves almost all vegetables.  Skeptical of tofu.  Usually likes meat.  Hit or miss on crackers.  Loves mandarin oranges and macaroni and cheese and peas and corn.

Logan tells you when he wants thing – by noises and pointing.  He will go and stand by his chair and kind of grunt when he is hungry.  He makes it pretty clear what he likes and doesn’t (those usually get thrown).

Logan is moving up in his fine motor skills.  He can do a circle on the shape sorter toy (though he doesn’t really sit down long enough to do that often) and today stacked blocks together for the first time.  He will very carefully stack two together and then knock them down as fast as he can.  Logan has also started to scribble and really loves crayons.  I thought it was too early, but he was insistent and he doesn’t chew on them – he draws.

Logan still loves to throw.  We are trying to limit it to balls.  Trying.  But he will throw anything given a chance, particularly food and toy cars.  He throws pretty well and loves to play catch – he doesn’t really catch yet, but I think he already had better aim than I do.

Logan is starting to get more attuned to our emotions and what we are saying.  If he thinks we are mad at him, he will get really upset and start crying.  If you apologize and give him kisses, he will usually be fine again.  I love how you can see him watching you, trying to figure out how you feel about things.  So cute!

Logan still makes kissing sounds to show he loves you.  To Joe.  To everyone in the family.  And even today when we drove up in front of our building – he must love our home.  He also figured out how to blow.  When we tell him food is hot, he will say hot and start blowing on it.  So cute!

He still only says a few things – Mama, hot, hat, hi, – I think those are his only regular words.  It sounds like he is trying hard to say Andrew now.  I feel like it is not enough, but I think it’s supposedly okay.  His comprehension seems good, so it is fine.

Logan is figuring out how to undress himself.  He can take off his coat and gets his arms out of sleeves of shirts.  He also takes off his shoes and socks as often as possible.  He refuses hats and gloves and throws them out faster than I can put them on.  Which is bad because it has been quite cold.  He also runs away from me and laughs every time I try to change his diaper.

Logan laughs and plays a lot.  He is figuring out how to do “funny” things now so that I will laugh.  I think he might grow up to be a little tease.  He just seems to fit right into the flow of our family.  I love it.

Logan seemed to enjoy Christmas.  He loved his presents.  He got a bowling set from Santa – mostly because we thought he should get a little something just so the other kids didn’t worry.  He actually really enjoys it – mostly just throwing the pins.  He also got a basketball hoop and balls – made to go in the bath, but I am trying to keep it out of there.  He also loves it and thinks it is really fun.  He got a book from Grandpa Dick and Grandma Clo which he loves.  Also, one from Michael and Meghan and from Sarah and Danny.  He loves them – his favorite books are pulling flaps, so he really likes it.  He got clothes from Grandma and Grandpa and also some new Pjs from us.  Not sure if he loves those or not, but they were much needed. 

I think he was a little overwhelmed with all the family and then Katsu has been gone for a week now, too.  It’s just been a crazy couple of weeks for him.  He did warm up to Sarah and Danny by the end and would let them hold him and would play with them.  Of course, as long as I was around, too.  They watched him for a bit, so Katsu and I could go out, but he got pretty upset when he woke from his nap and realized we weren’t there – he threw up he was crying so much.  But as long as he was playing with his brothers and Sarah didn’t look at him, he was fine until we got back.  We really weren’t gone long.  Anyways, I think no one else was there long enough for him to really warm up to.  He did seem to like Meghan some – I think she must just give off this preschool teacher vibe or something.

Logan’s favorite part of Christmas was the decorations.  He loved seeing Christmas lights and would stare and point in amazement.  He also loved the Christmas tree – they only knocked it over once, but he was constantly rearranging the ornaments.  He loved looking at the pictures of Jesus on the wall that I put up and I think he is sad they are down.  Maybe I should put it up in his room again.  I think he was actually starting to say “Jesus”, too.  So cute.

Fun Things This Month:

  • Christmas program – Logan got to see both Seth and Andrew’s Christmas program.  He loved Andrew’s because there was lots of music and he sat still mostly the whole time (well, he was rocking out to the music – that kid can sway like no other).
  • Dentist – His first dentist appt.  He cried the whole time, but I was surprised, they cleaned his teeth and put on a fluroride treatment.  His teeth look fine and he got a cool new shark teether/toothbrush.  He was suspicious at first, but I think he has finally conceded that it is a toothbrush after all.
  • Going to lots of Andrew’s swim lessons – Logan did lots of screeching the first couple, but after that, he mostly figured out how to entertain himself (to my chagrin, pulling roots out of pots and throwing soil around).
  • Time with Dad at the park and Sonic. 
  • Going to Zoo with Danny, Sarah, and the family. 
  • Going up the big mound at Cahokia and seeing the lights in Belleville with Grandma and Grandpa, Michael, Meghan, Sarah, and Danny.
  • St. Charles – it was cold, but Logan seemed to enjoy the Santa parade.  We royally messed with his naps, but he seemed okay with it. 
  • Christmas with the whole family.  Logan spent most of the time climbing up the stairs at the hotel and insisting on going down using the hand rail.
  • McDonalds, Applebees, and delivery pizza with Sarah and Danny.
  • Babaloo Concert at the History Museum – Logan was really enjoying it, but then he fell asleep – I am not sure how he did it since it was SO loud.
  • Science Center with Sarah and Danny. 

No comments: