Saturday, March 23, 2013

Seth is 3 years 9 months old!

I think things that have been better this month and Seth has been having an easier time.  And this has been a tough month for Seth, too.  We went away for the first time and left Andrew and Seth with a neighbor/friend from the ward for three days.  Katsu and I needed to go visit North Carolina and see if we liked it.  I was very apprehensive about leaving Seth.  He was very nervous and anytime we mentioned it, he would cry and cry and cry.  He said that I wasn’t allowed to choose and that he got to choose who got on the trip (because he’s the oldest, but I’ll go into that later).  He said that he would go on the plane with me.  But ultimately, it seemed to turn out fine.  I talked to Seth on the phone every day, but it was mostly one word “Yes” or “No” in his high little voice.  He played with his friend Miles the first two days.  The neighbor who was watching him doesn’t have any small children anymore, so that way he would have more fun.  The third day, they all went to the zoo, also along with Miles and a few more friends from church.  He seemed to have a really good time!  He didn’t even seem too excited to see me when I came back.  I think he thought we were moving to North Carolina right then and was very upset on the way home that we weren’t driving to our new house!

Seth even went to the Magic House (the children’s museum) with a friend and his mother without me and seemed to have a fabulous time.  It’s good to see him opening up and enjoying himself.

Seth is deep into his fantasy world.  He is a superhero who is infinity years old, so he is the oldest one around.  He can be a superhero because he is a half age.  At night, while we are sleeping, Seth goes on adventures all over the world by himself and can fly.  He has all kinds of super powers.  It is so cute to hear him talk about them.  He really has a vivid imagination.

His imagination gets him into trouble, though.  I thought it was just Santa Claus he was afraid of, but we have to add leprechauns and the Easter Bunny to the list.  His school had leprechauns “break in” to their preschool room.  He got into their pudding the first day and made it green and Seth came home somewhat perturbed.  By the morning, he was hysterical that leprechauns were real, that they were going to get into his room at school and maybe his house and cause all kind of trouble.  I told him they are pretend, but he doesn’t believe me.  He was crying and crying and I practically had to drag him to preschool and then had to walk him in to alert the teachers that he was scared.  His teachers and classmates were all in the hall waiting because the leprechaun had locked them out!  Amazingly, Seth took it mostly in stride and let me leave.  And when I picked him up, he was happy because the leprechauns are actually real and good and they had left him gifts (some trinkets and a leprechaun hat).  I think these good feelings are dissipating though and he refused to wear the leprechaun hat to the St. Patrick’s day parade. 

He seems to show similar fear of the Easter Bunny and is very skeptical about him coming into our house.  He told me he hates the Easter Bunny.  He was a little scared (but maybe a little excited) when we saw the bunny arrive via helicopter this morning at an Easter Egg hunt.  Ignoring the Easter bunny, though, he loves Easter.  Today he told me, “I love Easter and Halloween best because you get candy.  I don’t like Christmas”.  It’s true, though – Seth asks about when Easter and Halloween are all the time, even when Christmas is just a day or two away.  Silly boys.  He has been helping me buy things at the store for our upcoming Easter celebration and is very excited.  He hid all the Easter things in the cabinet and keeps showing them to everyone.  He can’t wait to drink the grape juice and eat marshmallows especially.

Seth seems to really be into hiding and secrets.  He and Logan and I play hide and seek a lot every day.  He is playing better with Logan, too, on a side note.  He also is always telling me “Don’t tell that to ____ – it’s a secret” about everything.

Seth has finally gotten much better about obedience and picking things up.  He listens the first time and goes and does it.  And then I look over and it is already done and I am shocked because it is so different than it was even a few months ago.  I am so proud of him.

Seth is excited about moving and loves to talk about what he wants in a house – a driveway, an upstairs.  He is very keen on the driveway and mentions it often.

Seth is quite good about playing with himself.  When I put Logan down for a nap, Seth will go and play by himself in his room and is pretty good about it.  He has made it his job to close the curtains in Logan’s room and always rushes to do it and is mad if I do it first.  He mostly plays good and bad with his cars and army people.  It bores me to tears, especially since my team is always about 1/10 the size of his and has no super powers while his is basically immortal – so I am not sure what I am even supposed to be doing!

Seth is VERY interested in super heros.  He loves reading almost anything, but he especially loves reading super hero books.  I think we have every Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Green Lantern, Incredible Hulk, etc. etc. book out from the library.  And we read them over and over.  He really wants to live in “the real Gotham City” and asks to go there all the time.  His new thing is that he wants to live in a city with lots of bad guys.  I try to tell him that there are lots of bad guys in St. Louis, but he is not interested.

Seth has been wandering over to our bed almost every night.  It’s been driving me crazy.  He says he has bad dreams if he sleeps in his bed, but none if he sleeps out here.  I never wake up when he comes in bed, he’s so quiet, so I usually don’t notice until I wake up with Logan crying and realize I have feet in my face.  Otherwise, he really is a good sleeper and I can’t complain.  He goes to sleep easily most nights, although some nights for some reason, he can’t sleep until we finally let him lay on the couch, and then he like instantly falls asleep.  Silly boy.

Seth is a little sweetheart.  Sometimes he is a little whiny and he seems to be in a very loud age.  But overall, he is a very good little boy, just a little anxious.

FUN THINGS THIS MONTH:

  • Reading night at Seth’s school.  It was so fun to go to an event at Seth’s school and focus on him.  But Andrew was so excited to see his old teachers and Seth introduced himself (as if they didn’t already know him!) as “Andrew’s brother”.  Poor kid.  He showed us his teacher, picked out some books at the bookfair and really seemed to enjoy himself.
  • A new set of swim lessons has begun.  Seth is in a different class with a different teacher (the right level this time) and misses his old teacher.  He is very enthusiastic and tries very hard, but seems to not want to try to breathe – he always thinks his abilities are far greater than they really are.
  • History museum for the Lorax movie.  Seth loves to book so we thought he would enjoy the movie, but he really loves the snacks.
  • Seth finished his Dr. Seuss unit and loved the Green eggs and ham especially.  He ate it all!
  • Seth celebrated St. Patrick’s Day at school and was mostly terrified.  At home, we had green eggs, green milk and green pancakes for breakfast, which he loved.  The Corned beef at dinner he didn’t love quite so much.  The St. Patrick’s day parade was quite long and after awhile, he was too tired to be at the front getting candy with Andrew and came back with us.  True to form, the parade was about 2.5 hours, but it’s probably our last St. Louis one and we couldn’t let it go to waste.
  • Seth is on Spring Break and loves to tell everyone that he gets more than 2 weeks off.  He was lucky and went to Magic House this week with a friend.  We also have played at the park a lot.
  • Staying at a neighbor’s house.  He did so well and Andrew really helped to take care of him and do things so he wouldn’t be scared.  I am so glad that we kept them together.
  • Fish fry.
  • 2 easter egg hunts back to back.  We were planning on skipping the first one since we had swim lessons.  But someone apparently had an accident in the swimming pool after Seth’s lesson, so Andrew’s was cancelled and we ran and barely made the first hunt, one we have always enjoyed in Richmond Heights.  Then, we went to a new-to-us hunt in Forest Park.  It was cold, but the boys had fun.  It was in the huge field (where the Balloons for the Balloon race start) and we got to see booths, the Bunny arrive by Helicopter and each of the boys had their own egg hunt.  There was TONS of eggs (55,000) so the boys got lots.  And some even had good candy.  We had a lot of fun.  At the first hunt, the boys even shared eggs with a boy who got there late and missed the whole thing.  I was proud.

No comments: