Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Seth is 3 years 10 months

March 2013 004March 2013 011March 2013 076March 2013 090March 2013 094March 2013 099March 2013 102March 2013 114March 2013 116

This month seemed to be a little smoother, although Seth has gotten really whiny lately and seems to be melting down more often – I think he either is coming down with a cold (I have one) or he is not getting enough sleep.  I know he would get a lot more sleep with his own room.  Andrew and Seth’s schedules just don’t seem very in sync at the moment.  But, on the other hand, I think they would be lonely with their own rooms.

This month has been full of whining.  I know it’s the age, but I feel like Seth’s default talking is whining.  By the end of the day, I feel like I am going to lose my mind if I hear one more whine.  Seth is quite thoughtful and very diligent, on the one hand.  On the other, if he feels like he might fail, he refuses to even try.  He is very much a perfectionist.  Sometimes, I am amazed when I ask Seth to do something and then I turn around and he has already done it.  On the other hand, when he thinks something is hard in play or work, that’s it.  When he runs a race with someone else, he runs all out.  But, if he is not close (like they started way earlier, or whatever, because Seth actually runs pretty fast), he just gives up, does this wimpy run and then kind of flops around and then whines and starts half crying.

Seth has started wearing underwear at night and does well, but he is still not confident.  He wants to wear a diaper sometimes and will explain that it needs to be a pattern “underwear diaper underwear diaper”.  I think it’s pretty cute. 

Seth started doing reading lessons from the book this month.  He loves it and is catching on to sounding out very quickly.  He wants to do 2 lessons every day.  He is always excited to show Katsu all the stories he is reading “See me read” “See me eat”.  He loves to look ahead in the book and see which sounds he is learning next.  He is having a hard time blending beginning sounds but gets it after trying to read it a few times.

Seth had the stomach flu this month for a couple days.  That was not fun.  He also got punched in the face by Andrew and got quite a bloody nose.  He was scared to death.  Poor thing, but it turned out fine.

I am conflicted on what to do about preschool next year.  Seth had another parent teacher conference and he is doing really well.  Basically a model student.  His teachers said they would write letters to preschools in NC if they needed to, to get him off the waiting list.  They said he is just great and sharp.  But Seth hates going to preschool.  He is the ultimate home-body and really doesn’t want to go anywhere ever.  When I picked him up on Tuesday, he said “I can’t wait for tomorrow because it is not a preschool day”.  And the thing is – he seems to enjoy preschool while he is there.  But getting him there (or church, or story time or anything with a forced social component) is very difficult.  He usually pretended to be sick, but I finally told him how annoying that was.  I told him I could never tell when he was actually sick because he is always saying that he is sick.  And so, he usually tells me the truth now.  So … I am really leaning towards no preschool next year.  We’ll see if we have time to drop by the preschools and visit when we’re there next month.  Maybe Seth will change his tune.  They are cheap and in the budget, but I just don’t have energy to force the kid to go 4 days a week.  I wish they had 3 days options, but I don’t see any.  At least it’s not 5 days a week.  Too.  Much.  Driving.

Seth is very interested and “ready” to play sports.  He has started asking me when he can play.  In our town, everything for his age is in kind of like an intro-to-sports thing on Sunday afternoons.  Which doesn’t work, obviously, but I do plan on enrolling him in soccer after we move.  He tells me all the things he knows about sports and how much he wants to play baseball practice right now.  Soon enough, buddy.  Today, I have a cold, so I was watching a movie, and at one point, cricket came on the screen and both Seth and Logan were fascinated.  I think they will definitely be my sport boys.

We started new chore routines.  Seth got chore sheets from our neighbor for Easter and was very eager to use them.  He has been super diligent in doing his chores.  He always want to know how many chores he has completed and what extra chore he can do.  And he gets quite upset if someone else has done his chore.  Each week, we’ve tweaked the chores, but basically, he is in charge of feeding Joe, setting the kitchen table, and doing an extra chore, as well as a reading lesson, cleaning his room by 7:00 and following the rules.  For his extra chore, he especially likes helping clean the toilet.  Yay!

Seth is finally starting to play more with Logan and be more of a friend.  He would still rather spend time playing on his own in his room without Logan messing up his things.  (Well, he would most prefer if I would play with him alone, but that almost never happens unless it’s nap time).  But sometimes they play cars or ball together and it makes me happy.  He still much prefers Andrew as a friend, but Logan is starting to be a friend, too.

Seth is really sweet and I love our time together (esp. when he isn’t whining).

Fun Things This Month

  • We had a big snow storm the first Sunday of spring break – a whole foot of snow! The boys built a snow fort and a huge snowman. It was really really wet snow. Thankfully, it didn’t stay around too many days.
  • During Spring Break, we also
    • went to the zoo.
    • went to Magic House.
    • went to Purina Farms. We saw all the baby animals. And Andrew and Seth loved running through the tunnels in the barn.
    • went to the CHildren’s Garden at the Botanical Gardens on opening day. They had music performers and the boys also got free plants.
  • Spring Break was also the week before Easter.
    • Seth enjoyed waving the homemade palm branches while we sang Hosanna and acting out Palm Sunday.
    • We had a passover dinner with lamb, homemade unleavened bread, bitter herbs, and grape juice. Seth was so excited to buy the food for Easter.  He helped me buy things and then he put it all in a special cabinet.  He would show it to everyone.  And he was finally thrilled when it was Thursday night and we could start eating all the food.
    • Friday, we had a Jesus dinner with foods he might of eaten, plus some symbolic food to remember the events of that day. We also made hot cross buns. We also dyed Easter Eggs. Seth had a lot of fun with that.
    • Saturday we had our traditional ham dinner.
    • Sunday we had a traditional ham dinner with friends. Seth was excited to go to his friend’s Miles house and do an egg hunt there.  I don’t think he ate a blessed thing the entire meal, but he had fun.
  • Sunday morning we had our Easter egg hunt in the house. Seth had tons of fun finding eggs and eating the treats inside.
  • General Conference – the boys listened to the prophet, but otherwise, they mostly just played. They did enjoy doing bingo with chocolate chips one day and eating chocolate chip cookies the other day.
  • Opening Day for the Cardinals.  Seth was a little under the weather.  I think he was already coming down with the stomach flu, but he really really wanted to go anyways so he did.  He really had a great time and especially enjoyed the snacks that Katsu brought.
  • Swim lesson continuing.  Seth is getting a little tired of them, but he works hard and he just has one more.
  • 2 Planetarium shows.  It was the 50th anniversary of the Planetarium and while we go thru their often on the way to the science center, but we’ve never seen a show.  The shows were all 50 cents, so we went Seth, logan and I to see a show during the week.  It was the Little Star that could.  Seth LOVED it and spent the next few days telling me all about stars.  We went to a second show as a family on Saturday telling us about the sky tonight and what you can see, but Seth didn’t enjoy it that much. 
  • We went out to eat as a family at Maggiano’s to celebrate getting a job.  It was fine.

No comments: