Saturday, June 08, 2013

A couple more days of Japan

Well, the jet lag is still here.  I think Katsu and I are feeling mostly normal - although kind of sick.  I think we have mild stomach bug that Logan and Seth had.  Andrew seems to have adjusted very well.  Logan and Seth on the other hand are still not on the new time.  Seth will make it through the day one day, but then be so tired the next day that he falls asleep for the night at 4 pm and sleeps the whole night through.  That is what he did last night.  I looked at him and could tell he was falling asleep, so we tried to get him to eat some bread.  He ate some but feel asleep totally mid bite.  So funny.  Logan still falls asleep at random times.  He feel asleep deeply yesterday afternoon but then woke up around 7 for an hour or so and ate some dinner and then went back to sleep when we got back to the hotel.  It just seems so cruel taking kids internationally when they are young - I hate it.

So, Friday, we went to Ueno Zoo.  We locked the rate for our mortgage in the morning which removed a lot of stress - it has been a little tricky to deal with this things while we are in Japan because basically all business hours in NC are the middle of the night here.  Katsu woke up really early in the morning with Logan, like 4 probably, and took him on a walk and bought me lots of chocolates.  Logan took a nap in the morning at 8 and Katsu was super grumpy/tired, so he took a nap, too, though it was pretty disturbed by the kids being not so quiet.  Housekeeping came by shortly before 10, so we decided it was time to go.  The day was cooler and crowded, but thankfully not rainy.  We took the train to Tokyo - we got on a pretty fast line, luckily, and it only took 25 minutes to get to Ueno stop.

After a bathroom break or two, we finally were at Ueno Park.  It was odd to see more Westerners in Tokyo - we are lucky to see one non-Japanese person here in Saitama.  The boys spied a tiny amusement park outside the Zoo and a park, so we had promise of good things after the zoo, as well.  The zoo was not too big size wise and I actually enjoyed it more than I expected.  Andrew took the English copy of the map and was very determined to decide which order to see everything.  We had one meltdown when he decided that we hadn't seen everything in the right order.  But mainly it worked out well.  He was very concerned about us seeing everything and I think we saw just about everything even though it meant backtracking in some cases.

First, we saw the Pandas.  Everyone enjoyed the Pandas.  There was only one on display - I think the other one is shortly to have a baby.  But the panda was very active.  We also especially enjoyed watching the bears - I can not believe how close the bear was to the window and standing straight up.  Logan was a little scared, I think.  The polar bear was fun to see, though it seemed a lot smaller than I expected.  They had a pretty cool nocturnal exhibit and the boys were excited to see the bats.  The boys liked petting the goats, except Logan was scared.

The zoo was divided into two parts connected by seriously the shortest monorail I have ever seen.  We convinced the kids not to go - it looked like more effort than it was worth - by telling them we could do the rides afterwards.  Seth latched onto this and then cried about going on the rides for the rest of the zoo.  We had a quick lunch there - the boys chased the pigeons away like the wild hooligans they have been this whole trip.  The aye-ayes were pretty cool as were the giraffes which were very close by.

After the zoo, we bought 6 tickets to the amusement park for $5.  Logan was just happy to sit in all the cars without us actually putting money in.  The boys rode in a high up airpline ride, a ride with roller coaster like cars that zipped them around, and a flying elephant ride.  They seemed to really enjoy it.  Then we played at the park, which mostly consisted of the kids getting filthy in the dirt/gravel which is what covers every playground.  Andrew feel asleep on the train home ...

Well, it's time to go so TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments: