Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Noah is 1 month old!

Well, we have a new camera and I am not quite sure how to get pictures off of it, but I will try to post some pictures later.

Noah is one month old today.  I can't believe it has already been a month - it has just flown by.  Noah is really a very mellow and very quiet baby.  Almost a little too quiet ... it makes me a little nervous.  He only cries when he is really upset (like he's hungry or he's in his crib and wants to be picked up).  He fusses some in the evening - fussy for him, but still really pretty quiet.  The last couple days he has started to coo every now and then when you are talking to him.  But otherwise, he likes to sit and stare.

Noah sleeps a lot.  A ton compared to some of the other boys.  He sleeps all night, waking up twice to eat, but goes right back to sleep.  Sometimes, he wakes up because he needs to burp or spit up, but he really sleeps pretty well.  He only had 2 nights he woke up a lot - once in a growth spurt and the first night at the hospital, maybe one other one.  But otherwise, he wakes up twice.  I think he does one longer stretch, but honestly, I don't look at clocks anymore - we just go with it.  The first few days, I would sometimes I have to wake him to feed him up, but he has a good internal clock going now.  He goes to sleep between 8 or 9 or so and he wakes up between 7 and 8 or so in the morning.

He generally has a few awake times a day.  A few hours in the morning, then he usually sleeps most of the afternoon, and then he is awake for another few hours in the evening before going down for the night.  He still doesn't really have a schedule in terms of when he is asleep or awake, but we are sort of getting into a bit of a routine.  Sort of.  He will even let you lay him down tired but not asleep and he will often go to sleep.  He likes to be swaddled - we swaddle him tighter at night, though he manages to get out of it by the morning.  During the day, I just swaddle him pretty loosely and with his arms out, but he doesn't like to be put in the crib without any blanket on at all.

He is not a huge fan of the pacifier.  If Katsu gives it to him, he will take it, but that's few and far between.  I pumped some milk and Katsu needs to try him with a bottle when I'm not there.  We really need him to take it for when I teach lab on Friday mornings.  We'll have to do that ... very soon.  We don't have a bouncy seat or a swing or anything.  We keep meaning to buy one, but he doesn't really need to be entertained much.  If I set him on a blanket, watching his brothers is already very entertaining!  And he does well propped on on the couch, watching the world go by.  He is especially enamored with ceiling fans.  And windows.  But especially ceiling fans.  He used to hate being outside because of the breezes, but he likes it fine now when we sit on the porch and watch the boys play.  He doesn't seem to love or hate the car seat or stroller, but boy - they put him out.  He will just sleep and sleep.  You can tell that he will try to rouse himself, but something about being in the car seat just makes him so sleepy.

Noah is a good nurser.  He is pretty fast and efficient.  He really didn't have any difficultly at all - his latch wasn't stellar the first day, but since then, no problem really.  I make a ton of milk and it comes out to fast and he will choke on it.  At night he is fine and usually in the morning but in the fussy evenings, he hates it and will cry and fuss and choke.  Poor thing.  After a few breaks, he is usually fine again.  He nurses every 1 -3 hours depending on the time of day.  A little less at night probably.

Noah is getting chubby.  His legs seemed skinny to me for awhile, but they are finally starting to get some fat on them.

Noah is pretty strong.  He holds his head up well - he could hold it up in the hospital, but he does it even better now.  He likes to be on your shoulder and hold his head up and look at the world.  At night, he likes to cuddle - it's sweet.  He is okay with tummy time, depending on his mood, but he eventually gets bored on it.  He likes to always sleep facing his right when he is on his back so I try to put him half on his side, when I think about it, pointing the other direction because I am worried about his head getting flat.

We haven't been out much until the last week.  Before that, we went to the library a couple times and to Target once.  He has been to his pediatrician when he was 5 days old and also to redo his newborn hearing test (which he passed this time).  In the last week, we have been to story time at the library, Redbox a couple times, Chic Fil A, the pool, a party at a friend's house, church, my work, Krispy Kreme, and the shoe store.  I am hoping we can just stay at home, but with school and work starting next week and then soccer and all that jazz ... life is going to get busy.  At least it isn't winter!

We love Noah - it's been a great month!

No comments: