My quals are done, so it's time for another post. I don't know how I did on them ... maybe 50/50 whether I pass or fail. But, I figure it's good to do things every now and then that you are 100% completely scared of. And oral exams would definately go on the list. Especially when they are supposed to cover more material than I think I could possibly fit all in my brain. But - the key point being - they are DONE!!!
I am going to be starting my research today. Usual concerns - research ... don't you need to have original ideas for that??? Ha ha ha ... but I'm sure it will go just fine.
Last week was hard. Besides having these three oral exams, our home-teacher passed away leaving behind a wife and three Primary-age children. So, I also attended my first funeral last week. I hope the best for his wife and family. I don't know them that well beyond being the primary pianist. But there's still this strong desire to help in any way I can, which of course, everyone in the whole ward feels, so there's not much that I can do right now.
We also had our last ushering assignment last night for Dave Brubeck (sp?) which we really really enjoyed. It was busy and crowded, for the balcony, and wearing a skirt and running up and down the stairs is always a bit of an adventure and of course there's the walking home in the rain with dress shoes for a couple miles or so part. Katsu and I just sat on the steps for the whole performance - we couldn't see any of the action, but sometimes I think it is more enjoyable to just listen anyways. We really want to usher a lot next year, especially since the Royal Shakespeare Company is coming - only stop in the US - and we really want to usher that. Besides, that guy from Star Trek is playing Antony; how cool is that!
Also, I bought a new book; I know, as if I could possibly use a new book. But I had money to spend from sitting for a friend's dental boards and getting a cavity filled. So, I deserved something fun, perhaps. I bought the new Oxford Book of American Poetry. Poor Katsu has been putting up with my, "Oh, don't you want to hear this one?" or "Surely you've heard this one before" or "Oh, this poem is very funny" or "I had no idea this was actually a Sonnet!". By the way, did you guys know that Emma Lazarus's the New Colossus was a sonnet - not I.
So, now hoepfully it will be a fun summer. Research by day, fun by night. Maybe a few road trips. Options - Kirtland & Cleveland, Chicago, Mackinaw Island, Toronto, various other cities in Michigan or Ohio or other nearby states. Stay tuned for more updates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is good to hear that you got through exams. I was sending good thoughts your way all week last week!
Hey, I saw Dave Brubeck earlier this month.
Neat!
And I know I owe you a phone call. Sorry!!
Post a Comment