For all those who don't know - Katsu is not a US citizen. I have, of course, always known this and it did not seem to make much difference to me when we were dating. Marriage, of course, always changes things, but most especially in a bureaucratic sense with two governments involved. Let me dispel a common misconception which is unbelievable false - when you marry an American you DO NOT automatically become a citizen. Nothing is automatic in the entire process and if you do nothing, the only thing that automatically happens is that you can be deported. After reams of paperwork, Katsu received a temporary green card 2 years ago, and after another ream of paperwork, Katsu's application is hopefully being finished up with and he will really recieve a permenant permenant green card shortly.
But as for citizenship, we are not sure if we will apply for Katsu and when. This surprises many people, especially at church. Many just assume that he would desperately want to be a citizen. As people have told him, "but you're like an American already" - a thought that makes my blood boil or at least simmer.
Obviously, there would be some benefits to Katsu being a citizen. Wills, inheritance, and sticky legal matters would be simpler. His passport wouldn't be checked as vigoursly in other countries (aren't Americans so lucky). We could live outside of the country for an indefinite period of time (the major plus for me). We wouldn't have to register things both in US & Japan (marriage, children, etc). He wouldn't have to constantly notify NCSIS or whatever they are called everytime we move or update his green card. And he could vote.
On the other hand, those are all paperwork kinds of things. None of those reflect what country Katsu would like to be a part of. And I don't think USA should be the default, but rather Japan. If the others didn't enter into the decision at all, I would prefer if Katsu were a Japanese citizen because it is his heritage, his mother tongue, etc. Japan is a beautiful country with generally kind, good people. His entire family (excepting siblings) live there and have for ... well, for ever.
I think citizenship should be on some level an emotional connectedness and not just a beaurcratic-ish decision. Otherwise, what is patriotism? I feel connected to America, but that doesn't mean that Katsu should be. And I personally don't see America as the best place in the world. There are many other wonderful countries that have good people and good governments, that are not oppressive, that allow for individual and religious expression. And in that case, I think I can celebrate them all. America can be a land of opportunity, but then, can't other places be? Not everyone needs to or should be an American citizen. And I am and will be proud of having a Japanese national for a husband.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment