I've had a dearth of good books lately, but finally read a couple that were worth sharing.
Monique and the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway - this was an excellent book, though according to my mother hard to get at her library. Its a non-fiction account of a Peace Corps volunteer in Mali and her two years spent working with a midwife there. It definately gave me an understanding of what pregnancy and childbirth and just general living is like in an African village and the challenges there. Man, I wish I could be a Peace Corps volunteer - it really sounds like such great service.
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok - this fiction story is about an Orthodox Jewish boy growing up and becoming an artist, must to the chagrin of his family and the grief he goes through for it. It was one of the most well-written books I have read in a long time - I had no idea how well a book could help you understand what being an artist is like, and describe art so powerfully without pictures. I loved it!
Back to the library again today for three books on hold - hopefully some of these are good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Try "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down." By Fadiman I believe. It is about this Hmong immigrant family who has a child with epilepsy and how different the two cultures of health beliefs and care are for this family. It sounds heavy (and I suppose it is), but it is a great read.
Post a Comment