Today we had a doctor appt at 7 am! What was I thinking when I scheduled it - esp when it was only -2 degrees (-15 wind chill) outside when we left. Way too cold and way too early. But the results are in ...
Height - 29.4 inches (84%) as usual
Weight - 22.2 lbs (76%)
He is finally coming back down in weight (in percentile). Of course, this is probably due to his (as his doctor called it) SOLID FOOD AVERSION. In other words, Andrew refuses to let us feed him anything. He doesn't mind playing with food, but if perchance it gets in his mouth - well, then he will spit it out and sometimes throw up just to get rid of the icky feeling. Which means my dreams of weaning seem ever and ever further away. The good news ... we don't have to feed him anymore so he won't be "controlling the situation" and only tell him how good food is and wait until he asks for it. Which is way better than suffering through feeding time.
Otherwise, Andrew is a happy kid. He now has 4 teeth, but of course won't let us take a picture of them. He isn't crawling, but manages to get around with rolling and sorta crawling (he can crawl a bit backwards ...). He has this push toy he can walk around with and he is also starting to cruise some. His favorite activity - pulling books off the bookshelf, CDs out of the CD player, and dancing to his new favorite CD "African Playground". Still has severe separation anxiety if he is being babysat at someone else's house. As my friend said, "I was surprised at the intensity of his crying. At one point, he was even hyperventilating". As the doctor said, the kid obviously has an opinion of the world around him. Umm ... yes, I believe so. He is a very talkative kid and seems to perhaps know how to say Daddy, though it's all speculation on our part of course.
On a side note - I am still in graduate school (Barely) and my first journal paper was accepted for publication last week! Big yeah - that is essentially 1/3 of the way to being done with my PhD. I also got a conference abstract accepted so the whole family will be going to Toronto the first week of May for me to learn all the new stuff being done in MRI and to present my work on B1 Mapping. It will be a fun month ... but that is a separate post. Happy February.
Monday, February 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I totally think you should relax about Andrew eating... he will eat when he is ready and he is obviously not starving!
But mostly I wanted to offer a big congrats on the journal article!
Yeah! All is well! And yes, clearly, the solid food aversion is not hindering his growth by any means.:)
Amanda and Katsu, You are doing a great job and are wonderful parents. I agree with the Dr. and just wait and let him want to eat when he is ready. I remember nursing Jared till he was a year and maybe longer because I went with Grandpa to a Dental Convention and they are usually in June and he turned one in March. I nursed him just before we left and he didn't seem to miss it that much while I was gone and that was the last time. of course he was eating solids and drinking from a glass and I was just nursing him probably at night before bed. It's been a long time. Maybe let him get a little hungry and then let him watch you eat and enjoy it and maybe he will be more inclined to try it. Especially soft things like mashed potatoes or creamed soup etc. I'm sure the Dr. has checked to be sure there is nothing that would cause him to choke or gag when he puts food in his mouth. This will pass honey and he will be fine. He is so darn cute and keeps getting cuter and cuter. I'll bet Rick and Becca are happy you are going to be visiting. How fun for all of you. We love you and would love to have to come spend time here. The weather was in the seventies last week but a bit cooler today. Take care. Grandma and Grandpa Clark
Post a Comment