Since I'm sick and just trying to get better, I have time for a quick blog about the books & movies we watched this month.
Books (out of 4 stars)
The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Everyday 3 stars - this book had some good ideas, but I guess nothing that I loved or was really spectacular. Probably would enjoy it more if I had older kids.
Playing for pizza 2 stars - No offensive, John Grisham, but your legal thrillers are way better than the rest of your books. I mostly enjoyed the story and learned about the American football teams in Italy (who knew?), but I admit I mostly skimmed the text about the actual football games (do I care). Mostly this book gave me a craving for Italian food, most especially Parmesan cheese.
The death of the grown-up : how America's arrested development is bringing down western civilization 1.5 stars - I was really excited to read this book and liked the first chapter, but it all went downhill from there. I just don't think rock n' roll was the death of American civilization. I was really hoping for a more in-depth reading of the problem or at least a solution. And how this all related to the Iraq war - well, you have lost me there. I admit, I didn't read the last chapter or two.
Nineteen minutes 3.5 stars - I really enjoy Jodi Picoult's books to begin with, and this story of how a boy becomes a school shooter was interesting (with an interesting, though not entirely unexpected plot twist at then end). I really liked how the book was told, starting with the shooting itself (all 19 minutes) and then going both backward and forward in time. Makes you think about being a parent too. A little language and a little sexuality (though you can skip those parts without missing any of the story).
How Starbucks saved my life : a son of privilege learns to live like everyone else 2 stars - This book was interesting ... I guess. The author had everything going for him before he slept around, lost his marriage and lost his wife, prompting him to start working at Starbucks. However, the writer made himself sound really stupid or like he was mentally deficient, though I don't think that's the case, he using to be an advertising executive. But the lessons he learned were interesting. So it's a bit of a mixed bag, but a quick read.
Women & money : owning the power to control your destiny 2 stars - Not the best personal finance book I've read, but not the worst. This has pretty decent advice, though I didn't learn much except that Suze Orman really really recommends trusts with a will as a backup which sounds like an awful lot of work for me. The book comes with a deal where you open an Ameritrade account and make regular deposits to get a free $100 - I am taking her up on that.
Movies
Breach 3 stars - This movie, based on a true story, about a spy in the FBI was a little slow moving but very interesting. I especially liked the take home message, which I won't spoil.
The War, Disc One 2.5 stars - I love Ken Burns films, especially the one on the Civil War, so my expectations were high and so far I am just not that impressed. I guess I was hoping for a little more explanation at the beginning instead of ... oh, it's Pearl Harbor and now we are at war. Although I guess that is how the US experienced. Katsu finds the movie a bit US-centric, which it is. Here's to hoping that the next few discs are better.
Shrek the Third - 1 star - I was just so not impressed with this movie. Oh, well. What can you expect.
Other
Ann Arbor Hands On Museum 2 stars - I think this would be a fun place, but for Andrew's age there was really only one tiny little section. A nice way to get out of the house, but unfortunately we will have probably moved out of Ann Arbor before he can really enjoy this museum. A lot like a science museum.
Detroit Institute of Art - 4 stars - I have been waiting to see this museum since we moved here and the big new renovations were finally done in November and we finally got over there. I love big art museums, but I especially like how this one was done more or less thematically in places. I really liked their more modern art (Picasso, etc.) as well as the European art. The African area was nice, but the Asian collection was TINY. They had so many fun things for kids to do - I think it would be really fun for elementary schoolers and maybe even preschoolers. Even Andrew liked some of the art.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment