Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Best Birthday Ever (Perhaps)

I had a great birthday this year!!!!

The week before my birthday I tried to fit in some freebies - Baskin Robbins (Free scoop) and Coldstone (free creation) and Old Country Buffet (free buffet dinner). Then, on Sunday evening, I made my own cake (my favorite part of my birthday!) and invited friends over to share the cake. It was SO fun just sitting around and talking to friends and eating WAY too much cake!

Monday morning we were still asleep (Andrew kind of had a rough night) when the Funai Family called to wish me a happy birthday. I was lucky to be able to talk to Hiroko & Tetsuo, but also Kiyo & Hiroko who were in Japan. Then, the festivities began. Andrew and I went to Zingerman's Deli to get 6 free bagels. But, thought I, what would make a birthday EVEN better but another 6 bagels and some cheese to go with it! So, we went to Zingerman's Bakery (6 more free bagels + I bought a candy bar) and then to the Creamery.

Now, we need to back track. Many many many moons ago (like March, maybe), I decided I wanted to make cheese. And I came up with the perfect plan. I put a cheesemaking book on hold. And I decided that when my parents asked me what I wanted to get for my birthday, I would ask for a cheesemaking kit from online. But then, the book didn't come in until a week or two ago. And when I read it, Katsu told me how much he didn't want me to make cheese at home - too stinky, messy, and expensive. And my parents visited US so it seemed silly for them to buy me a present online. Plus, they got me a great ice cream maker which I am using to make fabulous blueberry frozen yogurt (with blueberries we picked ourselves). So, my dreams of being a cheesemaker where put on hold.

Or so I thought. Because when I went into the Creamery and was looking around to decide on which cheese to get (I decided on a soft garlic and chives cheese - pretty good!). And then I saw the EXACT cheesemaking kit I had wanted - I didn't even know they sold it in stores. Luckily, my Crookston grandparents had just sent me some birthday money (THANKS!). So, I bought the kit and after telling the cashier it was my birthday, ended up with some free gelato, too.

Then, after Andrew went to the babysitter and I got some work down at school in the afternoon. Then, my visiting teachers came over with cupcakes (some yummy) and a European candy bar (also so yummy) at the same time my friend came over with a giftcard for Borders (yeah!). And then Katsu gave me a second birthday present (present #1 was the trip to "Paradise") - a travel guide to China!!! Yeah - I'm sure we won't go for many years, but I am already excited!!!!!!!! Then, my friend babysat so Katsu and I could go to Real Seafood, Co for dinner. (It seemed a bit ominious at first with the firetrucks and ambulances and a worker being taken out with a hand/arm injury) Delicious!!!!!!!!

My birth-"day" ended up this week by buying a fabulous travel book for my birthday and then making my first batch of mozzarella cheese this morning. Another life goal completed - I am a CHEESEMAKER.

What better way to enjoy my birthday but by my favorite things - friends, chocolate, cheese, making things, free things, and travel!!!

2 comments:

Richard Crookston said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a great week. How exciting to make your own cheese. How did it turn out? Glad you are enjoying the ice cream maker. Love you, Mom

Crystal said...

It does sound like a great birthday! Happy belated b-day.