Thursday, September 18, 2008

Feminism

I went to our ward book club this month to talk about "Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History", by Laurel Ulrich. I hadn't (and haven't yet) read the book, only the review from Amazon.com, but it'd been awhile since I went to book club and I wanted to go.

We spent most of the time talking about politics and feminism (though not neccessarily together). And I was thinking (although I didn't actually say much). Some people were saying that they had never had a very positive light on feminism and this book changed that to show them some of the amazing things that feminism accomplished for women.

I have considered myself a feminist for a long time, though I surely wouldn't agree with all feminists. But the general notions I think have been with me for awhile. And I think it dates back to listening to a CD (well, back then tape) series by Living Scriptures that I listened to on Great Mormon Women. I found the women in these stories AMAZING. I was always astounded at what they did, how strong they were, and how they tried to balance family and other demands. One women went to medical school back East by request from Brigham Young so they could have better birth outcomes back in Utah. She was pregnant and had many small children, but did her best. Wow! And more recently, a women who went into government, locally to help improve the quality of their water, and ended up running (and winning) for Senator in Florida (I think). I just got a CD of this from my parents and can't wait to listen to it again. I love hearing about great women and the great things they did.

So, one small critique I have. So many members of our church make the trek out to Palmyra every year. It's not too terribly far from here (or from Boston), so it seems a lot of people in our ward do it each year. And a lot of people go to the Peter Whitmer Farm but no one ever goes to the Seneca Falls Women's Rights National Historical Park which is the SAME highway exit. We hadn't planned on visiting it, but when I saw the sign for Seneca Falls - I knew it had to be around and I made Katsu come with me. (Seneca Falls was the location of the Seneca Falls Convention, an important location and event in the fight for women's voting rights - I did a play about this for History Day one year and so I remember it well. Of course, one of the members of my team didn't show up for the competition because she forgot she was going to be in Hawaii that day .... how do you forget that?). So, now you know. So, next time you or a friend goes to see the church sites in Palmyra, on the way to the Peter Whiterm Farm, stop by and honor the women who helped give you the right to vote. And, until then, honor their memory by VOTING.

Okay, off my soapbox ... continue on your life.

3 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Good thoughts Amanda. I agree with a lot of the feminist agenda but not all. I do hold dear my right to vote and make my voice known and feel gratitude to those brave women who were the first to make this happen. I certainly will honor them by casting my vote this year and who knows we just may be in the Palmyra area again. The last time we were there was on the way to your wedding in Boston.

Lacey said...

Go women. I feel the same way!

MariLouise said...

I know Laurel Ulrich--she was in our ward in Cambridge after we moved out of your ward. She's great and sure made Relief Society interesting!!