Friday, October 31, 2008

Monthly Book Review - Oct 08

Well, I guess I read a little bit more than I expected, but again a couple are parenting books, which I always rush through to get the pertinent bits. And there is actually a little fun (although not really fluffy) fiction book! Enjoy and remember there is always time to read.

Diaper Free Before Three: the healthier way to toilet-train and help your child out of diapers sooner by Jill Lekovic - 3/4 stars A friend reviewed this book on her blog and recommended it. And then it seemed like everyone I knew with kids Andrew's age (or younger) already had a potty seat. And so we got one. And then I had no idea what to do - so I read this. I liked the idea of this book - basically, in my opinion, train a kid before they hit those terrible twos (or more like terrible 18 months, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, or whatever) and make it a nice easy part of the routine. People potty trained their kids really young until recently (i.e. disposable diapers came on the seen), so we are just getting silly. Basically all based on some unsubstantiated (?) work by Brazelton on how kids need to show "readiness" or they might be emotionally damaged by too young of toilet training. Of course, I always take books like this, to some extent, with a grain of salt. I mean, their "agenda" is early potty training, so they only include information that encourages their point of view and disparage all others. But overall, I thought this was a good idea (i.e.,, start putting kids on potty as soon as they can sit well), but was very very short on details.

Early Start Potty Training
by Linda Sonna. 3.5 / 4 stars Of course, I can't read just one book about a subject, so I had to compare to this one. I actually much preferred this one. I think they had the exact same idea, but better explanation or inclusion of research and also gave a lot lot lot more useful tips on actually implementing. I especially like the idea that if we start potty training now ... Andrew might be done (of course, saying when potty training is done is very subjective as these books explain) potty training by day in 6 months. I think that's a pipe dream, but stay tuned.

Parenting, Inc.: How we are sold on $800 strollers, fetal education, baby sign language, sleeping coaches, toddler couture, and diaper wipe warmers and what it means for our children by Pamela Paul 2/4 stars. I expected great things of this my favorite genre of books, but it wasn't all that good. I loved some parts and it never ceases to amaze me things people will do or buy for their kids (I mean, fetal education?!?!? REALLY?). That is true entertainment. But the book didn't flow very well and was kind of boring, all in all. The basic jist of the book is this - people have kids when they are older, more educated, have more money, and live far away from family and they ultimately have less of them. They are also starved for time. And they have totally bought in to the idea that has been marketed to them shamelessly that we need to stimulate our children and educate them from the womb up and that if they don't give their kids all these opportunities and stuff that they are somehow disadvantaging them. I do have to say that I found it AMAZING how quickly kids toys all became "educationalized" - it really is crazy. I'll have to post sometime on what I think about parenting, but let's just say that this book backed up a lot of what I feel about how crazy parents are nowadays. Also, I LOVED LOVED LOVED (okay, I know some people are going to get upset over this, but ...) what they said about baby sign language. And how the studies on how useful it are are actually VERY conflicted and show both positive and negative effects. And how it really is part of this trend of parents being obsessed with classes and learning (regardless of its true effectiveness). (I am not a huge fan of the whole baby sign language thing). Anyways, some interesting, some not so much (like I care about toddler couture ... but then maybe that was the point). Let's just say - someone is making MAJOR money off parents.

Thank you for all things by Sandra Kring - 3/4 stars. This was an interesting fiction read about a girl and her twin brother (they are like 11 maybe?) and their single mom and their grandmother who go to take care of their estranged dying grandfather. The daughter narrates the book and tries to uncover the family secrets and all the conflict that underlies the whole family and figure out where she really came from (like who her father is). She is very sneaky about it and reads her mom's old diaries and tries to get anyone from her mother's hometown to tell the goods. It's a sad story and I have to say that watching the lives of the characters in the past is so sad to watch the amount of abuse that went on. Overall, though, I really enjoyed the book. I thought the earthy-granola-y, New Age grandma was hilarious.

An exact replica of a Figment of my Imagination. by Elizabeth McCracken - 3.5 / 4 stars. This is a very sad book. Very sad. It is about a women who has a stillborn child. She describes the event both from the past (her pregnancy leading up to then), the past (after the event) and the present where she now has been blessed to have a second child. Sadness notwithstanding, I really loved this book. The way she wrote was beautiful and helped open a tiny window onto a topic I know I have NEVER heard anyone discuss. And knowing how many women who have suffered and will continue to suffer under such a problem ... it just brings all this heartache and emotion to old family records that simply show a child as stillborn. If nothing else, I loved the title of the book. I think this book is a great read ... though maybe too anxiety provoking for many if you are pregnant. So, then, you might want to steer clear.

2 comments:

MariLouise said...

Well, if you want my (unsolicited) professional opinion on baby sign, here you go: You are right on! It's best used as a frustration-reducer for language-delayed kids who can't talk yet. Using it with pre-verbal kids has mixed results, sometimes (not always) delaying the onset of verbal language. I see this all the time.....
Thanks for the great book reviews, and don't forget to call when you come into town!! :)

Aurelie said...

I loved The Exact Replica. Your review is perfect.