This has been a busy month between sicknesses, Halloween, and a conference paper deadline for me. But we can't miss Andrew's half birthday ... I can't believe he is so old.
The biggest change this month was starting, for real, potty training. The first couple days were exasperating, but he has really seemed to get the hang of it. He loves the idea of getting candy and putting a sticker on the potty when he successfully does his business, so much so that one day, he was sitting and trying to actively push several times an hour just to get more candy and stickers. I actually think he likes the stickers better than the candy, which he holds and melts in his hand, and if/when it finally makes it to his month, it ends us in chocolate drool all over his shirt. Yuck - I have a feeling we are going to have to buy a lot of new 2T shirts for Seth. The only major problem with the whole potty training thing is that I feel like we need to stay at home, but we have so many places to go, but he's obviously not trained enough to go use potty outside of home, so I feel like we're only half doing it.
If we don't go anywhere all day, Andrew is begging to go to the park or just outside or anywhere. A day at home is much too long for him. He was very upset on Monday when we didn't go to the grocery store after the library (which I guess we must normally do) and he kept telling me things food he thought we need to buy. He is always asking "What are we doing (tomorrow, yesterday)?" He doesn't quite understand time words yet, and will always say tomorrow or yesterday when he means today. Or he will say next week or next month, but I don't think he really understands what that means. His favorite and must used expression now is "in two minutes". Everything is in two minutes. If he really wants to show us he is serious, he tells us to set the timer. Usually two minutes means more like never for Andrew, because he is always busy doing whatever he is doing.
Andrew is really so social. I think he would probably love being in day care or preschool (although, I think he would miss me a lot at day care - maybe day care with me along would be his paradise). He asks me to invite his friend over every day. And he will try to call on the phone himself if I don't do it. I hope we aren't overusing those friendships ... He would just be so happy having a playmate to play with all day every day. But he gets upset when his friends don't want to play the things he wants them to. They can't just be here for a playdate - they have to dance with him right now or play balls or go to his room or whatever.
Andrew is still the sweetest big brother ever. He loves to hold and kiss Seth and tries to comfort him and play with him. I hope it lasts, but Seth is already starting to eye Andrew's toys and I am not sure how Andrew will deal with that. He is already upset when I read "Andrew's" (according to Andrew) books to Seth. He already told me that our family should have another new baby. I told him Seth was a baby and one baby is way more than enough.
Andrew is really a touchy person and loves to touch, hug, kiss, and wrestle with other people. I am not a very touchy person, so sometimes I go crazy with how much he wants me to hold him or how much he loves to climb on me or cuddle next to me. I guess I should enjoy it while it lasts, but my touch quota is always overflowing.
Andrew loved all the trick or treating. We did the Zoo, Main Street, the ward Halloween party, and around the neighborhood (with friends and on our own). It was probably a bit much, but I just think it is such a great holiday for kids. Andrew LOVED it. We are using his candy for potty training so I don't feel too bad about how much he got. Plus, there is a hefty parent tax and I put some aside for Christmas. Andrew must be going through a growth spurt lately, because his costume, which fit fine when I tried it a month or two ago, was a little small and he kept tripping. But that didn't stop him. He wanted to go to every place and run the whole way there. He would say "Trick or Treat" kind of quietly, but with much prepping, got a little louder. If they weren't fast enough, he would follow it up with an "I want candy!".
We prepped a lot for Halloween by reading Halloween books and watching a couple Halloween movies the whole month before. Andrew loved them, even the scary ones. He wanted me to read them, even though he would cover his eyes during the scary parts. He loved "Who Took My Hairy Toe" and also "T. Rex Trick or Treats" the best. We also carved a pumpkin. Andrew was really excited about pumpkins this year and got excited whenever he saw one.
And yes, he still loves cars. This week, his cars were "driving to church to read their scriptures" - where does he get these ideas. I love it. We love our 2.5 year old.
1 comment:
Hi Amanda,
I just wanted to say hello. I love hearing about your family. I think we should live by eachother again some day. We are well. I am seriously considering hiring help though. Wow, my boys are high maintenance. Charlotte is perfectly easy. Thanks for your book lists too. I'm an Amanda fan. I hope you are well.
Krista
Post a Comment