Another goes by and I can’t believe how old Seth is getting.
Boy, Seth is really starting to be a handful. This has been a tough month for him. I think going to Texas was a bit traumatic for him, or something. He is deep in the throes of separation anxiety and being in Texas was the worst. Until Katsu got there, Seth refused to leave my side (and usually didn’t want to be away from my arms). Trying to take a shower was shear torture and involved my mom holding him while he screamed bloody murder or standing on the shower curtain the whole time, so Seth can’t pull it away and he still cries the entire time! Once, my mom held him when he didn’t want it and he bit her on the shoulder, hard, with tooth marks still the next day! Based on that behavior, I missed out on Sarah’s endowment and Katsu also missed the wedding to watch Seth so I could attend. Seth even cries at church when Katsu takes him so I can teach my Sunday School lesson.
Seth is pretty intense about what he wants. He does the cry and not breathing thing, but he will start breathing again just at the last minute and only sort of pass out. He did it once or twice while we were in Texas. He does it at home when I take away something of his sometimes. He has been throwing tantrums pretty regularly since he turned 1 – flailing his arms and legs and refusing to be held. He gets upset when you don’t do what he wants (like going outside or letting him play with chalk or crayons) or you take away something he is playing with.
Seth has really started hitting a lot. When he started doing it I had to bite my tongue not to laugh because it looked so cute. He hits me and Andrew and Joe and whoever he can get to. I am trying to nip it in the bud, but he is pretty determined. I even saw him hitting in his sleep during a nap before, which I thought was pretty hilarious.
Seth’s greatest thrill in life (besides climbing as high as possible or rolling/falling down from some big height) is getting people to laugh. He loves to be silly and funny and make us laugh. He also loves to dance. When we are watching something on TV and music comes on, Seth will instantly start dancing. He does some pretty cute dances.
Seth is also a very fast runner and I am always chasing him around everywhere. I thought I had lost him in the mall several times the last time we went shopping. But he is a master wriggler and I can only hold him for so long before I lose my grip. This is a big challenge in church – I try to make it through the sacrament, and even that is a challenge. Church, actually, in general is challenging. Seth can open the doors going outside at church (!!!!!) and so he will run down the hallway and then open the door and go outside (!!!!). Like, how is this possible for a 14 month old child!!!! That is why Katsu usually takes him to Elders Quorum where they tolerate children running around better.
Seth is still not a big eater and would prefer to live on eggs, meat, chicken nuggets, peaches, bananas, rice and noodles. I am starting to get a little worried that he isn’t gaining weight (he still weighs around 20 lbs), so I am going to try and stock up on all the kinds of food he likes and fatten him up. Alright, that plan probably won’t work. At least he doesn’t gag himself as often as he used to.
Seth is talking some. His regular words – mom, dad, hot, cat, done, po (for peach), ba (for banana and also for playing Japanese peek-a-boo), tru (truck and maybe also train), car, ball. He uses all those words a lot though. Hot seems to refer to both food being hot (or the oven) but also everything related to food and cooking. He says it over and over when he sees me cooking (and he loves to stand and watch the entire time). He also says done a lot, not just when he is done eating. The cutest, is when he wakes up in the morning. He will walk around the room and wait by the door to see if Dad will come and get him. If he gets bored or impatient, he will come and sit on top of me and say “Done, done” and motion to the door.
Routine is very important to Seth. He gets very distraught if anything at night is out of order, like if we eat before Katsu gets home (very rare), or he doesn’t immediately take his bath after dinner.
Seth loves playing with Andrew, running around, playing on big-kid (i.e. the age 5-12 kind) playgrounds, giving kisses, playing with Joe, watching me cook, doing his shape sorter, driving cars around, drawing with chalk, running around outside, coloring with and eating crayons, dancing to music, reading stories (together and with us), looking at photos and photo albums, and being with Mom (and Dad).
No comments:
Post a Comment