Well, the paperwork is all done, the edits were approved, the graduate program approved everything, and I’m all done. (Well, I will still be writing up my research and submitting to journals to try to get it published. But the required stuff is all done.)
I still can’t believe it! It has been a hard road. I was getting really discouraged there at the end – I actually almost took a leave of absence in January because I felt like I had no energy left, but I decided to just do half-time research instead. The first couple years, pre-kids weren’t too bad (although I was pregnant with Andrew my entire second year of grad school) though the coursework was tough because I think my undergrad was a little less rigorous than most of the foreign students.
But I knew once I had kids, that I wanted to be, for the most part, a stay at home mom. I was planning on quitting with my Masters when he was born, but then there was a kink – I was awarded a National Science Foundation graduate research fellowship. They are really prestigious and I just felt like I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. Especially since my advisor was so understanding. So, I figured I would give it a semester.
The first semester was AWFUL. Andrew had severe separation anxiety, and I would only leave him at the sitter when I had class (I had two classes after Andrew was born … I really was mostly just doing research), but he would cry the entire time! The entire time. By Halloween, the babysitter had quit. I mostly quit attending class and just managed to get through the semester. Yuck. Thankfully, the last class I took was an evening Public Policy class and that wasn’t a big deal at all.
But every time I would try to quit, my advisor said I should think it through and keep trying. I am a really bad quitter, so that is pretty much what I did. It was REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hard. I didn’t complain TOO much on this blog, but I complained all the time to Katsu.
Except for when Andrew was 1-2 years (so about one year) when we had a regular sitter for 9 hours a week, I had no consistent babysitting. Just now and then for meetings with my advisor. And of course, by the time we moved here, I did those all over Skype. And that is what I wanted. I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and I didn’t want a graduate program that I didn’t completely love to get in the way. There are parts of my research that I really liked – the calculus, some of the coding. But it is definitely not my passion. I love teaching, but I never did much of that in graduate school because I always had fellowships (thank heavens – I don’t know when I would have time to teach).
But trying to get in 20-30 or more hours of research in a week without any babysitting (or very little) is REALLY hard. With Andrew it was easier. He took 3 hour naps on my lap every afternoon and I would work then. Sometimes, I would try to get 2 hours of work in before Katsu went to work. And I worked every weekday evening and every Saturday. Almost every single one for the past 4 years since the kids were born. I would work till I was so tired and it was time to crash every night.
With two kids, it was much much harder. I worked some mornings but not once Andrew started preschool. It was too hard. And I worked every evening. And I got more and more tired. Plus, I lived states away and that it makes it much harder to be motivated. And two kids and pregnant and trying to finish the dissertation … yikes – that was really hard, but thankfully, a sister in the ward would watch the kids while I worked in her basements most mornings for a month or so there.
And now it was done. I thought I would just be embarrassed when I was done. It took me 6 years (it’s supposed to be 5 years, but actually 6 is still pretty common, that includes the Masters as well), I still don’t feel like a total expert on MRI (although I feel like I have finally got a good grasp of MRI physics … yikes, MRI physics and me have been struggling together for a good 5 years), my dissertation is pretty straightforward and not too exciting, and I still don’t know what I am doing for the rest of my life.
But you know what? I am so proud of myself. It was really hard, but I did it, and I did it my way – while still being at home with my kids. And no matter, as someone in my department said, you can’t take a PhD away and usually you only ever get one of those in your life (thank heavens). It’s a big deal. And I’m proud.
6 comments:
What's up doc? I'm proud of you too, Amanda! I admire how you persevered and were EXTREMELY flexible! I don't know how you did it really. I am SO HAPPY for you. It's your degree and heck you're a stickin' doc. hun! I wish I could give you a gigantic hug. Miss ya
What's up doc? I'm proud of you too, Amanda! I admire how you persevered and were EXTREMELY flexible! I don't know how you did it really. I am SO HAPPY for you. It's your degree and heck you're a stickin' doc. hun! I wish I could give you a gigantic hug. Miss ya
Congrats Amanda! You definitely deserve that PhD. :) Reading this post makes me miss you! I'm glad we were in the A2 ward together. Keep in touch!
Amazing, I don't know how you did it! We are truly proud to be your grandparents. Grandpa is truly amazed! He says getting his degree was hard enough with having his family at the same time, and a PHd degree is alot tougher than a professional degree Grandpa thinks. He is busting his buttons! Good job! Hope all is well in your little family. We love you.
Amanda, this is grandma and grandpa Clark. We forgot we were on Aunt Venita's blog when we posted. :)
We are here for Grandpa to have surgery on the 20th
you should be proud! you are amazing! The thought of even doing an online course with kids makes me cringe. you did it!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment