Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Andrew is 4 years and 3 months old!

Wow.  I am so ready for Andrew to go back to preschool.  I am super-duper worn out this pregnancy and the pelvic pain is just getting worse, so maybe I am being less attentive …. but between the tantrums and the messes.  Yikes.  Andrew has so many tantrums whenever he doesn’t get his way.  It is frustrating.  He pushes things down and just causes havoc.  And the messes!  Zoo and Kansas City 005Zoo and Kansas City 014Zoo and Kansas City 020Zoo and Kansas City 031Zoo and Kansas City 045Zoo and Kansas City 055Zoo and Kansas City 085Zoo and Kansas City 104Zoo and Kansas City 108Zoo and Kansas City 129Today, the boys found my makeup in the short time I was vacuuming – thank heavens it smells so bad or I would have had no idea, but I still couldn’t figure out how to get it off the floor – we had no finger nail polish remover (thankfully, Katsu brought home acetone from work).  And they took an old oatmeal container and filled it with water and put it in a bucket in my bedroom.  Earlier this week, Andrew also took an entire jar of tarragon and dumped it on Seth’s head.  And the boys poured like a half to quarter inch of water on the floor in the bathroom before I discovered it.  Arggghhh!!!!  And this week has been cooler, so we can finally go and play at the park.  The last 3 weeks we have pretty much lived inside.  I hate 105-110 heat indices.

Andrew’s shows just keep evolving and evolving … now, he really works the MCing angle.  This week he starts out like “Hello and welcome.  How is everyone doing today?  Good, good.  Now, how would you feel if <insert weird scenario here, like what if a giant came and picked up your house>?  That would feel bad wouldn’t it.  And you might feel angry too.  Are you ready for the show?”.  I don’t think he really gets stage fright.  He doesn’t mind giving talks at Primary, unlike the other Sunbeams.  He wants to do them off of his board set – so we picked the closest story to his talk topic and then I had him tell the story as I gave him pieces.  He is sure a character.

One of Andrew’s favorite games to play right now is creation.  He says we need to pretend to be Heavenly Father and Jesus and then we reenact the creation, but more like this – first came the cars, then the people, etc. etc.  The game seems to be more like throwing all the toys on the floor to me, but it’s still pretty cute.

Andrew is still loving music.  He sings all the time.  He loves the primary songs and likes to sing along.  But he also loves to sing along to the radio.  He likes Katsu’s radio station choices better than mine, generally.  He especially hates classical music, which he calls “Mommy music”.  His favorite thing to do is listen to Katsu’s techno music and music from America’s got Talent from the internet and dance around to it and do flip shows.

Andrew behaved a little better this week at church.  Maybe my evil eye is helping to do the trick.  Maybe.  We made cinnamon rolls to celebrate.

Andrew still loves reading together.  He is starting to read books to Seth.  I swear, he has almost every book memorized, even the books we get from the library.  I am thinking of starting to teach him to read.  I think it might be a fun thing to do together.

Well, I can’t think of anything else to say about this month.

Fun things this month:

- Very hot summer days, so we have spent lots of time indoors building forts.  And planning music.  And otherwise, driving each other crazy.

- A day at the Science Center.  Andrew loves all the transportation parts and seeing the volcano and tornado and the earthquake.  The boys wanted to build the arches over and over.

- Watching his second movie in the movie theater.  It was so hot, so we went to “How to Train Your Dragon” for free.  Andrew was scared and asked questions seriously every minute or two … “What’s happening, Mom?”  “Is this going to be scary?”  The boys liked pretending to play the arcade games beforehand the best.

- Zoo with Mom and Dad!  Andrew enjoyed petting the sting rays (the main reason we came) and loved playing at the Children’s Zoo.  We even saw a children’s animal show there – the first time we had seen one.  Andrew likes seeing most of the animals – except the butterflies and penguins for some reason (maybe because Seth likes them?).

- Two puppet shows.  One at the library.  And one at the mall in Kansas City on our trip.  Andrew thinks they are so funny – he has the cutest, most infectious laugh.

- Our trip to Kansas City!  Andrew loved swimming the most at the hotel pool/waterpark and requested going so much.  He enjoyed the audio headsets at the Truman museum.  He was pretty non-interested in the church sites, though he thought the lady showing him the organ at the Community of Christ temple was pretty cool.  And he was excited to see Liberty Jail.  It must have impressed him because he saw a picture in a book of Liberty Jail (I don’t even know if I would have recognized it) and he started telling me about it.  He loved the train related stuff we saw at Union Station and especially eating at Fritz and waiting to see when the train would bring our food.  He really liked looking into the trenches at the World War I museum.  He liked stamping his passport anywhere at the Hallmark museum and seeing his bow being made.

- Several play dates, yay!  Probably as many as we have had since we moved here.  He is making friends with some of the new boys in the ward which is great. 

- Hiking at Power Valley.  The boys were so excited to go hiking, it has been awhile, too difficult in the hot, humid weather.  Andrew loved it, until he started complaining about being out of energy about halfway through.  But he was very attentive and saw deer all by himself.

- Getting pictures taken.  They turned out pretty well, even though Andrew spilled water on his shirt just before they were taken.  When I was trying to choose what portraits to get, he started crying when he heard we weren’t going to get the CD.  I was so focused on trying to overcome the pushy sales person, I didn’t even realize until we left that he thought it was a music CD.  Silly boy.

No comments: