Saturday, February 04, 2012

Family Home Evening

We’ve been having a lot of fun with family home evening lately.  We’ve been teaching the boys the Old Testament.  At first, we were relying a lot on the new Old Testament Visual Resource DVD the church put out, but I’ve expanded a lot and found SO much material from different churchs’ Sunday School classes.  I thought I would share some fun lessons we have done.

Baby Moses

Read book from library “Miriam and her brother Moses: a bible story”. 

Craft – we weaved paper strips together (or at least that was the idea) and made baskets and then glued a baby moses in the basket.

Moses and the Burning Bush

Story from http://www.dltk-bible.com/exodus/moses_the_shepherd-cv.htm

Puppet show (an application of how God calls us to do different things and he will help us do it) http://www.dltk-bible.com/exodus/moses_the_shepherd-cv.htm

Craft – painting burning bushes

Ten Plagues and Parting of Red Sea

This lesson was so fun.  For the story, we read “The Miracles of Passover” by Josh Hanft from the library.  The kids still want to hear the story every day.  For each of the plagues we had a little activity.

1 – turned water into blood (red Kool-aid)

2 – had frogs hop around and in our clothes

3 – threw bugs at the kids

4 – had toy wild animals attack us

5 – had play animals fall over dead

6 – drew boils on our bodies with washable markers

7 – threw hail at each other (giant marshmallows work perfect and even hurt some)

8 – threw bugs at each other again

9 – went into the dark bathroom without the lights on

10 – nothing for this one.

Song – plague song from here http://www.kidssundayschool.com/Gradeschool/Songs/1song01.php and listened to the classic “Let My People Go”

We also watched part of the video Prince of Egypt where the plagues are

Then for a treat we had red jello and recreated the miracle of the water parting (see here http://www.dltk-bible.com/recipes/moses_crossing_the_red_sea_snack.htm).

Manna

Tomorrow, we are talking about wandering in the wilderness, water coming out of the rock, and manna.  I am excited.

First, we will read from the library “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” and then we will talk about manna (based somewhat on this: http://ministry-to-children.com/not-meatballs-but-manna/)

I like the idea of active participation, but like the way they tell the story better in here http://www.missionarlington.org/d/OT-2YR-27-Manna.pdf

If I can keep their attention (or maybe later in the week, I’ll tell it), I found this story from the friend really interesting: http://www.lds.org/friend/2007/07/manna-for-mother?lang=eng&query=manna

And I think our snack will be a snacky-kind of dinner (it is the Super bowl after all) found all over our floor that we will need to gather and then we will have  picnic.  And maybe make manna cookies … I don’t know.

And for the Ten commandments, we already got the book “Ten Good Rules” from the library which I really like and the kids already like.

2 comments:

Adah said...

wow you are very on top of things! We still don't get to have FHE every often because Will is never home at a decent hour! Yuck! I guess I should do it with out or we should do it on Saturdays or Sundays but it seems like we already do so much church on the weekends! Anyways good job! And Logan is really cute! As are your other boys!

Krista Cook said...

Thanks for the ideas. We think you should move here. Think about it :).

Krista