We left for Michigan on Wednesday and drove and drove and drove. Logan had an ear infection before we left, but seemed to do pretty well. The first 6 hours went pretty well. But the last few hours were torture – Logan was hysterically crying, so we would stop and then he would calm down until we started driving again. We drove through Chicago (well, just south of Chicago) and I don’t like that way much – lots of traffic, lots of trucks, a really random sudden toll, and lots of stress. Once we got to Michigan, it was gloomy and rainy. The boys did pretty well and watched lots of movies. Seth did really well, considering he is still pretty newly potty-trained. We had one sort of accident just before Ann Arbor that was our fault for not stopping soon enough – sorry Andrew. We did eventually get to Ann Arbor and were so happy to stay with our friends, the Lyles.
Thursday was low-key. Katsu went out for lunch with guys from work and also picked up the graduation gowns. We mostly spent the day with the boys playing – inside, outside, at the park. The boys loved each other and were playing largely with swords the whole time. Seth worked really hard at trying to learn to ride a scooter. My parents came in the afternoon. We dropped them over by the family they were staying with and then we all went out to the Chinese buffet. Andrew and Seth thoroughly enjoyed it.
Friday was the big day. We all got ready and the boys dropped me off at Rackham to go wait in line. I really could have gotten there much later, but, oh, well. The boys found somewhere to park and met up with my parents. It was quite chilly in Michigan and even though we brought long sleeves, it was still too chilly for me waiting outside during our processional. Graduation was pretty boring from my perspective. I only attended the Graduate exercises because you are hooded and named there. The Engineering and entire university exercises would have just been big and boring. The speaker was a journalist whose basic idea was “Don’t think you know everything because you have an advanced degree”. I liked it; Katsu didn’t. When I got up to walk, I couldn’t find my advisor anywhere. Turns out my name wasn’t in my program (I guess because I technically could have attended Winter Commencement, but having a baby sure changes those plans). So, he almost missed me, but ran up just in time to hood me. I also was surprised because he was just wearing a suit – no robes. He had two other students also walking. My hat was kind of on funny after that and none of the pictures turned out too great. But I did get hooded and they did have my name. Then, more waiting, more waiting, finally recessing and finding my family and Jeff for pictures.
From the rest of the family’s perspective, graduation was a little more intense. My parents got a row right in the front of the balcony so they could see everything. The boys did really well – it went better than expected. Andrew behaved really well. Though if it weren’t for fruit snacks, we wouldn’t have made it. The Lyles came with two of their kids, too, so it was a lot of little kiddos. Katsu cheered a whole bunch when I came up, which scared Logan and he started crying. Katsu and our friend Sarah were both crying. Ha ha ha. Logan did well sitting in Katsu’s lap. After about “L”, everyone went out of the auditorium and played and then they wandered out to the fountain. The boys threw pennies into the fountain – Seth forgot to wish the first time and then threw a fit so they all had to throw pennies in again. I think they liked the fruit snacks and then the brownies and cookies at the reception best.
We went “home” after the reception and fed a starving Logan. The boys played outside and we all relaxed. Then, it was time to go to my advisor’s Jeff’s for a reception. I wasn’t particularly excited since I have not really done anything since I finished my degree. Luckily, we had dinner reservations at 5, so we only stayed for an hour. Seth fell asleep on the car ride over and slept the entire time at Jeff’s. We chatted around, with my Dad especially being great at the small talk. Andrew played with Duplos. The food was excellent. But, alas, then it was time to go.
We went out to dinner at Mediterrano – one of our favorite restaurants that also was making reservations during graduation weekend. We were a bit late due to traffic, but still got in. The food was delicious – I really loved my ravioli. The kids meals were especially large and yummy – a real bargain compared to the adult meals. The boys did pretty well except for a huge spill from Seth right at the beginning.
We were worn out and ready to go home and sleep!
Saturday morning, the boys played with their friends and my parents. My parents, Katsu, and I walked over to a Café for lunch without the boys (yay!) and then got caught in a little rain on the way home. It was fun. Then, my parents had to go back to Dallas. We said our goodbyes, played a little bit more, and then said our goodbyes to the Lyles and drove up to Traverse City. The drive was pretty easy. Katsu was very said that he missed seeing a turkey on the way up.
TO BE CONTINUED …
2 comments:
Amanda-congrats on graduating! You did it!!
I am so proud of you! Also: Those are gorgeous pictures of you! What a hottie PhD. :)
Don't forget to call and tell me next time you are planning a trip to the Big D!!
Post a Comment