Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday Alone


Katsu is out of town this weekend at the American Diabetes Association conference with his lab in Washington D.C. I hope he has fun ... so far I have just received a picture from his in email ... ha ha ha. So, needless to say, I am home by myself this weekend. I also, unfortunately, have a cold.

So, we've almost been in Michigan a year and we really like it. It feels so green and outdoorsy compared to anywhere else that I have lived. And, best of all, it's not too hot. Even though our air conditioning is out for a couple weeks, we don't need it because it just isn't that hot here. I love it!

Our garden is doing pretty well, I think. Katsu is dying for our tomato plants to actually grow tomatoes. We'll see if that really happens ... but we have flowers, so I am hoping that is a good sign. The lettuce is growing and mesculin mix tastes pretty good. And we get to harvest our radishes when Katsu gets back. They are French Breakfast radishes, though I don't know anyone who eats radishes for breakfast. Overall, not bad for first time gardeners on the porch.

Our cat, Joe, is learning new tricks. Usually we leave our glass porch door open and just have the screen door shut. Joe has cunningly learned how to open the screen door. Yesterday, I was in the bedroom reading when I hear the screen door opening. Lucklily, I ran to the living room and found Joe letting himself out and about to run under the apartment building. Silly cat. He probably opened the door at least 15 times yesterday! But we like him ... he's a keeper.

Otherwise, we just keep plodding along. Research for the both of us.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

The tomatoes should grow... it just takes forever. We are 3 hours south of you and our garden doesn't come into its own until late July.... too cold up here for it to get going any earlier.