Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Cheerio Test

Andrew went to see his "Feeding Team", which is really just an occupational therapist, again on Friday. She is really great and always really optimistic and happy. She (and we) think Andrew is making good progress. Basically, it can be summed up like this. Last time he went, Andrew would "eat" a Cheerio and when he spit it out it would still be completely whole. Now, when he "eats" a Cheerio and spits it out it is in 2 or 3 pieces. Definitely progress. The next goal, of course, would be that he "eats" a Cheerio and when he spits it out it is all mushy, with no more "o" shape. Or maybe, even, maybe, he eats a Cheerio, no quotation marks needed. The problem really is not so much the swallowing (he must be a champion swallower of breastmilk - look at his size!), but chewing.

I think a year ago I had no idea I would so interested in Cheerios and their respective shapes. Funny what parenthood does to you.

So, in case any one of our like 2 blog readers is concerned: yes, eventually Andrew will eat!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad he's making progress!

I feel like my girls are both terrible eaters because they are picky! but I think I would prefer that over spitting everything out.

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Good job Andrew! Keep up the good work.

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

It frustrates me when Bergen is so stinkin picky! I'm glad you're so good about the whole thing!!

I'm glad he's making progress and will soon be off the milk wagon (you!) Enjoy your baby.

Adah said...

Hey you are not alone in the eating department, Elsie is a hard one to please too. While she does not spit things out too often she will just not eat them or through them off the high chair. The worst is her gag reflex!!! It is soooo sensitive and so she vomits a lot when given small chunks of food. I am hopeful that this will all get better soon.