Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Andrew is 22 months old

This was kind of a long month. Andrew got sick several times in February and for a while there, between him and me, we were averaging 3 or 4 doctor appts a week. They put Andrew on a controller corticosteroid he breathes through an inhaler. This takes a lot less time than the nebulizer, which is great. But because it's a controller drug, he has to take it every morning and evening, which is kind of a pain. Plus, these drugs really make him a lot more intense - he is more aggressive, more hyperactive, and just a lot more emotional in general. Plus, being a stimulant, it makes going to sleep more difficult. But Andrew got sick on Sunday night and has yet to wheeze, which is just amazing. So, I guess the medicine is working - now I just have a normal sick kid, not one you have to continually listen to him breathe and then rush him to the doctor everytime he gets a runny nose.

Other than all that drama, Andrew has been having a good month. He loves to play. He really like to play with his puzzles and his train set and the Easter eggs that we already got out. He has spent a lot of time just playing with the cat, too. He likes to dance to music a lot and loves to sing the songs he learns at his First Steps class. He doesn't really sing a long, but he does the hand motions. He really likes playing with magnets and putting them on the dishwasher.

Andrew really likes to clean up now and makes sure that everything goes in his place. He likes to be clean and still is not into art (especially markers or finger painting) because it makes his hand dirty. He wants a napkin at dinner every day. He also hates to be undressed and if I am lazy after changing his diaper and don't put his pants back on, he follows me around saying "Pants. Pants".

Andrew is quite talkative, but he really like to babble away even if he isn't saying any words at all. He also whines A LOT, but I think its just the typical amount for his age. Andrew loves to count, but unfortunately he only knows the numbers 1 and 2. So, as my co-worker says, he counts in binary. He is not the kind of kid who will repeat what we say (he has NEVER done this), so attempts to overtly teach him his numbers completely fail. But watching him count is very cute.

Andrew still loves to read and has an insane attention span when we read. We can read for up to an hour and go through like 20 or 30 books! But I like reading to him, so it works out okay.

Andrew watches more TV than I like because we let him watch a short Mickey short (like 5-10 minutes) when he does his inhaler. It is really the only way we can get him to cooperate. We also are starting a movie night once a week and Andrew and Katsu love it. Plus, we took Andrew to his first movie - Bolt - this month at the dollar theatre. He sat on our lap and only wanted to leave once. He was really good - I was very surprised.

Andrew loves to say "No" now - I guess it was about time. Thankfully, I think he likes to say "Yeah" more, so it's not too bad. And thankfully, when he has tantrums they are short.

Andrew is a pretty big eater. He eats TONS at his babysitter. I just can't believe how much he will eat. His favorite foods are veggies (corn and peas), fish sticks, rice, cheese, blueberries, strawberries, and meat. He also loves chocolate.

Andrew still loves nursery though he missed it for about a month when he was sick and while we were waiting for his controller medicine to be most effective. He does not like sacrament meeting at all and is quite loud and embarrasing. Last Sunday he just said "Car" over and over really loud during the entire Sacrament. Oh, well. He just doesn't want to sit still and do one thing. And he wants to talk.

I'll try to upload and post pictures later. Andrew and I are both sick, so we'll have to see what I feel up to.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

We've had a pretty sick winter too! It stinks!

I wish Martin only wanted his clothes on. We have the opposite problem... he spends the day wanting to be naked.

Apron Appeal said...

Yeah, I've been there with the TV/nebulizer treatment. Only we didn't have shorts, the only thing Riley would sit still for was The Incredibles. It's been a tough weening process but I think I've managed to cut his TV time down. However, now that he doesn't have a motivator, his treatments get skipped, often.

Gwen

Mel said...

Who would have thought you would ever say that Andrew eats tons? I'm glad he's over his not eating phase.

TheFunYam said...

I'm sos sorry you guys got sick again! But that is awesome news that his medecine is working and that he is a "normal" sick now. Ha! The things we're grateful for!

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Amanda, I was just wondering if perhaps Andrew could be allergic to the cat, (heaven forbid). Grandpa is very very allergic to cats and it causes him severe reactons when around them or anywhere they have been. Just a thought. Hope not.