Monday, April 20, 2009

Weird (Pregnancy?) Symptom

I swear, sometimes it seems like between Andrew and me, we get all kind of weird problems. So along with my fabulous pregnancy problems I posted about before, here is a new one: I can't hear. And I am sick of it. You know the feeling that you get when your ear is plugged and everything seems too loud and yet muffled and you really need to get it to pop? Like on a plane or something. Yeah, my right ear has been like that for the last 3 weeks. It doesn't hurt, but it is sure driving me crazy.

So, last Monday I decided to go see my regular doctor about it. I mean, you would think after almost 2 weeks it would go away. My regular doctor is assigned to the Student Health Center ... and they wouldn't give me an appt - said walk-in's only. So, I walk in with Andrew after his nap (after taking him on the bus, which wears me out to begin with) and the wait is 2 hours!!!! But there is no way I am coming back, so wait we will with a whole bunch of undergraduates with colds. Thankfully, we waited for just over an hour before I finally saw a nurse practioner. She looks in my ears and says they look great. "Must be a pregnancy thing - I think that eustachian tube disorders are more common in pregnancy. If it hurts, come back. Otherwise, it should go away at delivery". Whole 2 minute appt.

So, I guess not only does this pregnancy mean almost continual pain for 6 months (although the yoga I have been doing the past few days seems to help a bit on that front), it also means no hearing from my right ear for 3-4 months. Swell.

3 comments:

-Laura- said...

Sorry Amanda, that does NOT sound fun. Have you possibly just tried some Sudafed just in case it might be plugged up? I'm sure you probably have seeing as you've had it for weeks. You poor thing! Or maybe you should go on a road trip and drive in the mountains. :) Hope it goes away BEFORE your baby comes!

MariLouise said...

I had that too!! Here's some advice that probably isn't worth much: Drink a lot of hot stuff. (Hot soup, hot chocolate, etc.)
:) xoxox, ML
PS-although if it does work, I expect a blog post of gratitude devoted entirely to MOI. ha ha

The Caple Crew said...

oh my goodness that would drive me CRAZY! Poor thing!
Ryanne one time head banged me in my ear and my inner ear got bruised and swelled up and I couldn't hear very well for a week or 2.