Thursday, March 11, 2010

Andrew is 34 months old!







Andrew has had a tough month, but seems to be getting finally adjusted to St. Louis. He still hasn't made any friends yet, but we are enjoying the city and he is meeting lots of kids, just never the same ones twice.

We have had a busy month. Andrew loves the zoo. Since it's gotten warm, we have been trying to go there every week. I'm sure as it gets closer to summer, the zoo is going to start to get really crowded, but we'll see how it goes. Andrew tells everyone and anyone about every single animal that he didn't get to see. He is so disappointed whenever any animal isn't there, and he wants to see very single animal every time.

Andrew also LOVES story time. We have been going 1-4 times a week! Andrew loves the one at Richmond Heights, because they play with play-dough and have suckers. He likes the one in Clayton because they do crafts and they have the Dora and Thomas books shelved separately so he can get a new one every time. And the ones at the Barnes and Noble and Borders are fun, too. Maybe tomorrow we can try out the one at the History museum. He loves story time and is always begging to go. The other kids get antsy, but he keeps asking for more stories. I also like that all the story times here do singing and crafts - I feel like its developing some other skills (scissors, glue, coloring) that Andrew shows no interest in at home.

We have also been able to go the park almost every day now. We live about a 5 minute walk from the city park which has three separate playgrounds (and a pool and a ice skating ring!). Andrew has a new babysitter who watches him and Seth two afternoons a week and she takes them to the park almost the whole time. He loves it! Especially on sunny days where there are other kids at the park.

We are also lucky to have Parents as Teachers here in Clayton. Our educator is great - gives me really great parenting advice and they have a playroom there that Andrew loves. He screams and screams when we leave.

In other news, Andrew is completely potty trained at home, but as soon as we put pants on him, he can't remember to go. I'm sure it will come in time - at least I hope so.

Andrew has been starting to talk a little more aggressively. He keeps saying "Shut up", even though he goes to time out for it. It drives me crazy. When he is mad, he says things like "I don't like you. I'm going to shut you and Seth up in the closet and you will die". I'm not quite sure how to respond to that, so I mostly ignore it.

Andrew has started to get really picky about food. He doesn't want to eat during meals, wants to snack all day, and only wants to eat a handful of food - mostly fried rice with soy sauce, plain yogurt with blueberries, crackers, cheese, cereal with fruit, milk, popcorn, crackers with hummus, soup, and chicken nuggets. He could live on that food - at least it is mostly healthy. He still is spitting things out a lot, but it is getting a little better.

Andrew's new love this month is Berenstain Bear books, which we have been checking out of the library. He wants to read ALL the time, seriously hours a day. Sometimes, even I, the queen of books, get tired of it.

I also have started letting Andrew watch Sesame Street most days. He really enjoys it, it is mostly educational, and it helps so I can get Seth down for his nap which is right when the show is on.

Andrew learns so quickly now. Sometimes I feel like I need to teach him more, but I feel that learning through playing and reading books is the best way. I might start working on letters. Andrew has picked up some on his own. He knows the letter "S" and says "sssss" whenever he sees it. Andrew has completely memorized the CD my parents gave him for Christmas and now knows tons of nursery rhymes. He sings along to all the songs at story times, even though none of the other kids, too. I'm glad he loves these things and I really don't want to push it.

We bought him some watercolors and this is finally the first art he is interested in. Now, he wants to paint every day. Yeah! Hopefully that develops a few of the hand muscles. I do worry a little about whether he'll be ready to write when he hits kindergarten.

Andrew is super excited about preschool - I am really excited about the preschool we picked out. It is really great. They are having a playdate on Andrew's birthday so we can meet other kids in his class. I am also thinking about having Andrew go to camp there for a week or two in the super - it's just in the mornings 3 days a week and would probably be fun for Andrew.

Well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

No comments: