Wednesday, July 23, 2008

2 more CSA's and Andrew's baby pool and adventures!


After playgroup we decided that Andrew needed a pool of his own. It's a little tough to fill up because we have to toss it over the balcony and then fill it up with a bucket from the tub, all the while making sure that the wasps haven't come out and made a new nest in the ceiling of our balcony. So, we've only done it once since we got it (but it hasn't even been a week yet, so we're not too lazy). And, in our defense, the wasps did make a new nest which we had to spray. Here is the cute pool in all its glory on the apartment complex's lawn.



Also, we've gotten two CSA boxes - one last week and one today. They are still a little smaller than we had hoped, but maybe they'll get bigger! The first week, we had rutabaga, a beet, more herbal tea mix, some basil, some little zucchini, some little carrots (from thinning), and some onions. I have to say - I am starting to love the smell of turnips and rutabagas - delicious!!! All the food we have gotten in pretty yummy, though I didn't love the rutabaga greens as much. We also bought some sweet and tart cherries. I used the tart cherries to make a real, live cherry pie. I guess you can't use sweet cherries because they lose their flavor in cooking. And one of the few places that grow tart cherries is Michigan. Yeah! Because they are super delicious.



Today's box had lots of cucumbers, a zucchini, herbal tea mix, kale, garlic, and dill. We also picked up a couple leeks for a dollar because I just LOVE leeks. Andrew does, too. Now, we'll just see if he loves the flavor - he probably will since he is a VEGGIE lover.



Now, two quick "adventures". I went to shave last week so we could trek the hot hot streets for the Art Fair. (Which by the way was tons of fun) (And which I convinced Katsu that we probably shouldn't buy artwork even if we really loved it because how can you justify a $2400 tapestry on a grad student budget, really?) So, Andrew decided to play in the toilet while I showered. With his toy watering can. Pouring water on the floor. Then falling and crying. But I just shaved away - I had to take my chance while I could.

Adventure two: Last week was the day of cleaning the kitchen floor. Andrew found the Arborio rice (Delicious for risotto!) and spilled the bag all over the floor- my poor, expensive rice. As I was cleaning it up, I realized I left him unattended with the trash can. BAD idea. He pulled some old cut flowers out of the trash and scattered the petals all over the kitchen floor. So, then, I cleaned those up. But of course, he had to end the day by spilling the cat's food and water everywhere. All in a day's work.

3 comments:

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

oh...(laughing) I feel your pain!!! cute kid though!!!

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Oh he is sooooooooo cute. Love you, you two are doing a fine job. We love you,

MariLouise said...

Okay, I hope you see comments on old posts, because I HAVE to post on this, especially now that you were so sweet and posted on mine! (Which of course made me want to go back and read all the Funai posts I had been missing.) ANYWAY, we have the EXACT SAME kiddie pool. Yup, same rainbow, same little plastic sun. Jonathan and Andrew are soul mates!!!