Thursday, July 31, 2008

Books from the rest of July

1-2-3 Magic by Thomas Phelan - 3.5/4 stars - I had heard this book recommended a few places and we've been trying to start reading up on discipline, so we can get an idea of what we want to do (discipline is obviously going to be just around the corner ... ). Right now, our only real discipline is removing Andrew from the situation or distraction. I really liked this book and thought it was extremely easy and very thorough. I also liked how it separated start behavior / stop behavior. I think this could really work well if it is applied correctly, but has a lot of flexibility for the specific child. Unless I find something I like better, I think this is what we are going to use.

Toddler Play - 3.5/4 stars - This book by Gymboree gives lots of great ideas on what to do with Toddlers (from 1 year and up). I thought it had lots of great suggestions. And it got me really excited about teaching new things. Of course, coloring with crayons led to drawing on the refrigerator, but it washed off, so all is good.

Women's Health Perfect Body Diet - 1.5/4 stars - I have been thinking of going on a diet lately because I just feel like I have been eating so not very well and I think it's hard to figure out how much to eat after having such high calorie requirements (well, higher) during pregnancy and nursing. This book sounded promising, and the diets themselves (two, mostly depending on whether you are an apple (me) or a pear (not me)) were okay, but they recommending eating tons of this glucomannan - a supplement from a yam - that was just not something I was interested in. Plus, I think their "perfect" weight was too standard and maybe too low for a lot of people (based on frame size and height). Not a great book.

Naptime is the New Happy Hour: and other ways toddlers turn your life upside down - 2/4 stars - another sort of slacker-mom book, but it wasn't too new or too interesting, though I did agree on lots of points.

Look me in the Eye - my life with Asperger's - 3.75/4 stars - I loved this book. This memoir about an Aspergian (as he calls himself) growing up and then finally leaving a very mentally unstable family and his crazy adventures. I am amazed at how much he has made of his life and how well he was able to work around his difficulties with understanding the social nicieties. Some of the stories were completely hilarious and all around it was a very fun, enlightening read.

A Crime so monstrous - face to face with modern day slavery - 1.5/4 stars - This is the book I wanted to like. I wanted to read it and really understand a problem that exists everywhere, even in the United States. But I just ... could .... not ... get ... through ... it. Oh, my goodness, I really tried. And the first chapter about the children slaves in Haiti was interesting and horrendous. But once I got into the chapter on Africa and Christian groups paying to free slaves, the writing slowed, the names came down in a torrential shower, and I just didn't follow it. And I didn't get into the US part. Maybe another time?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you are such a fast reader and can get through 5 or 6 books each month. I feel lucky if I get through 1 or 2. I just have to recommend one more book on discipline. Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years
by Jim Fay, Charles Fay
I read magic-1-2-3 first and felt it had good stop techniques but not as many start techniques, the second book I felt Love and logic was more thorough and gave a lot more ideas for start techniques and rational behind technique, but wasn't overwhelming as some discipline books can be. I think the two combined into your own style work great.

Here's my cut and paste review from good reads about love and logic - At first, it seemed really cheesy and it didn't seem to be well-written or organized, but I kept reading, and I think this book has some great techniques for getting little ones to cooperate. Before I read this book I felt exhausted at the end of the day and felt like I was always getting angry and frustrated. Now that I'm using the techniques in the book (including the uh-oh song, immediate action without several warnings, time out in the room, and giving more choices, etc) I find myself disciplining without getting frustrated/angry and and without yelling. So I would give this book 4 stars because I believe the techniques work and am excited to get better with them, but feel like the writing/organization could have been better...
good luck

Krista Cook said...

Amanda,
Thanks for all of your book reviews. I will be a better person thanks to your diligence. We want to try out your pool :)