Thursday, July 10, 2008

More book reviews (June and some of July)

As June was such a busy month, I didn't get much reading in. In addition, we were making a library transition to a newer nicer library which meant that I had no very close by library anymore. Well, sorta. Anyways, enough excuses - on to the reviews for June and July so far.

First, of all, I read (or speed-read) lots of parenting books this month(ish) and didn't really like any of them. I don't know why - except that I went to a different library branch and they tons of parenting books (unlike our old branch) and I got them, and then once I get a book, I tend to read it.

What every 21st-century parent needs to know : facing today's challenges with wisdom and heart - I have to say, I barely remember this book anymore. Hmm ... seemed like it was okay.

Confessions of a slacker mom - Looked good, but SO boring and obvious. And the lady kept saying, when my aunt (who by the way won all these gold medals at the Olympics) did this, blah blah blah. Like enough familial name dropping. And people have thought of the not buying tons of toys and not constantly entertaining them. You did not invent using a toilet paper roll tube as a toy.

Mealtime solutions for your baby, toddler and preschooler : the ultimate no-worry approach for each age and stage - This book wasn't too bad, but didn't find it all that helpful for our situation. Maybe reassuring seeing how little kids are supposed to eat ...?

Getting your child to sleep --and back to sleep : tips for parents of infants, toddlers and preschoolers - Not very useful. At least I think. It's been a lot of sleep-deprived nights since then.

The nursing mother's guide to weaning - Interesting history on nursing and weaning. But not as useful as I'd hoped. Main premise was - are you sure you want to wean (for pre-12 months) and yeah, it's pretty hard to wean (for post-12 months). My favorite part is the African tribe that paints scary faces on their breasts to scare the babies away. And they wonder why their kids seems somewhat traumatized by cold turkey weaning ...

Making up with mom : why mothers and daughters disagree about kids, careers, and casseroles (and what to do about it) - Almost done with it. Another book on the hold shelf where you are like, "Why is this there? I really put that on hold, because I have no idea what it is?". Okay. Doesn't seem particularly relevant to me and my mom as we don't seem to disagree about any of those things. But I could see how people do.


AND the more interesting books ....

The year of living biblically : one man's humble quest to follow the Bible as literaly as possible - I loved this book. I had thought of checking it out before but figured it would be stupid, but I LOVED IT. And it totally inspired my scripture reading, which has been majorly suffering since Andrew was born. I loved the way the author totally jumped all into living and following the Bible. Some of the laws are kind of silly, of course. And yet, even then, the author manages to find meaning. What I find even more inspiring about this it that the guy is not even really religious at all, and still professes to be agnostic. Maybe I'll have to read his encyclopedia book, too.

Love the one you're with - Silly chic lit. But not too bad. Got kind of exasperated with the main character and was quite concerned about the ending, but of course it ended as expected.

I know - not a great reading month, but we were busy. What can you see.

One note - we are thoroughly loving the History Channel / BBC History of Britain TV series on DVD. Check it out.

2 comments:

alecia said...

Cool. Thanks for the reviews! I put that Mealtime Solutions one on hold.

Kierra said...

Not a successful month for reading? Wow. I thought I did pretty good with my one book once a month goal...! You are CRAZY! I do love to hear book reviews though, I am always trying to find good books. But It totally doesn't help when you've read so much you can't remember what the book was about! You had that same problem in bookclub!